AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to check for leaks around subwoofer drivers, terminal plates, seams, etc.?

This question is prompted from me finding a leak in my 10" car sub by accident......

Thanks.....

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Piece of hose, while playing the sub put one end into your ear the other around whatever areas you want to check. I will make and audible "whoosh" noise if you have a leak.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18177616

Piece of hose, while playing the sub put one end into your ear the other around whatever areas you want to check. I will make and audible "whoosh" noise if you have a leak.

This or a stethoscope. Playing sub 20hz test tones while doing this will make things even easier to hear.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastForward763 /forum/post/18177951

This or a stethoscope. Playing sub 20hz test tones while doing this will make things even easier to hear.

They have cheap automotive use steths at Harbor Frieght. Fortunately for me, being a paramedic and wifes a RN, I just happen to have had one lying around

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you're a smoker there's another way a friend of mine always uses... Move the cigarette around the box and where the smoke starts blowing away you got your leak.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgilmer /forum/post/18178500

Hold the sub under water and play test tones. If you don't see bubbles you are fine..

haha! well played....make sure to shoot video of it

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I've used sub 20hz sine waves (15hz is good) and just my ear. works for me.

...Never tried that water trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts