AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the best way to strip speaker wire for banana plugs?

I got 100 ft of monster cable and some banana plugs, my speakers get in tomorrow....what is the best way to strip the insulation on the ends and how do I put it in the banana plugs?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Get a tool like this to strip the insulation: http://www.cableorganizer.com/greenlee/pro-wire-strippers/ . You can get this at any good hardware store (True Value, ACE) or at Home Depot or Lowes (in the electrical dept, not in the tool dept). After you strip the insulation, twist the stranded wire with your fingertips so that it does not fray when you insert it into the banana plugs. Some people may respond to this and say you should not touch the bare copper wire with your fingers because your skin oil will cause corrosion of the copper, but I am doubtful as to any potential negative effects of such and so I don't care.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a tool like this to strip the insulation: http://www.cableorganizer.com/greenlee/pro-wire-strippers/ . You can get this at any good hardware store (True Value, ACE) or at Home Depot or Lowes (in the electrical dept, not in the tool dept). After you strip the insulation, twist the stranded wire with your fingertips so that it does not fray when you insert it into the banana plugs. Some people may respond to this and say you should not touch the bare copper wire with your fingers because your skin oil will cause corrosion of the copper, but I am doubtful as to any potential negative effects of such and so I don't care.
And then how do I twist the wire to secure it in the plug?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Go ro Home Depot and get a IDEAL Strip Master wirestrippers, thank me later....

And get the Sewel Deadbolt Bannana Plugs from Amazon.com! Youll be amazed how ez both are to use!;)

Reactions: Knucklehead90

·
Registered
411 Posts
That doesn't really help lol, I don't know how to interpret that.
push the bare copper stranded wire up and thru the black section with about 3/8" showing. fold the wires back down and over the ridges (in a circular pattern) and screw the other section of the banana plug down and tighten.

some banana plugs have a set screw that you tighten up against the bare wires.

I would not worry. it is almost self explanatory when you open the banana plug.

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
Go ro Home Depot and get a IDEAL Strip Master wirestrippers, thank me later....

And get the Sewel Deadbolt Bannana Plugs from Amazon.com! Youll be amazed how ez both are to use!;)
Best stripper style available hands down. I bought a pair similar to those in 1969 when I first went to work for Boeing as an electrician. I still have them 46 years later. A little 3in1 oil occasionally and they work perfect. I don't even know the brand name - I could go look but I'm lazy right now after 18 holes of golf.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool thx guys. I've heard monster wire is unusually hard to get to stay in the banana plug, is there any store that sells screw in banana plugs?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Best stripper style available hands down. I bought a pair similar to those in 1969 when I first went to work for Boeing as an electrician. I still have them 46 years later. A little 3in1 oil occasionally and they work perfect. I don't even know the brand name - I could go look but I'm lazy right now after 18 holes of golf.
Here the ones I purchased! Insert wire 22-10 awg, squeeze handle, wire sheething falls off and to the ground! No yanking, twisting, or pulling! I call them the smart mans wire strippers....:D

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Stripmaster-10-22-AWG-Wire-Stripper-45-292/202819657

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The Sewells are the best I have used!!!
Myself as well! 27.95 shipped for 12 prs... Beats, huh ummm... monster at 1 pair 19.99!;):rolleyes: For the ssme plugs

·
The Village Idiot
9,626 Posts
The last time I bought banana plugs I got a set of these. Great price and they are made well. They are two way - set screw or compression fit. For a temp connection the set screw works great but for a more or less permanent connection the compression works best. I take a little bit more of a turn with pliers after hand tightening. Haven't had one pull out yet.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
The bad thing with the set Screws, is theyre Known for cutting through the speaker wire?:eek: Deadbolts by sewell, are the best option imo...;)
Haven't managed to do that trick, don't think I could if I tried. They have a nice dull end on the end of these set screws in the Silverback at least. Deadbolts suck as do any banana plug I have to stop and neatly splay the damn strands. :) YMMV

1 - 19 of 19 Posts