AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my question?

I am ready to start building the dedicated theater room. I want it to be as sound proof as possible.

I will be using double drywall 5/8" and green glue on the walls.

I will use clips and drywall with green glue on the ceiling

I can get to nearly all sides of the walls as this is an unfinished basement.

What is then best way to run wiring into the theater room in this case in order to keep the room as noise proof as possible?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Things outside the theater that need to be ran in:
  • dedicated circuit (1 wire)
  • phone line?
  • ethernet line?
  • cable / satelite line?
  • smoke detecter ac supply (if whole house AC smoke)
  • supply vent
  • return vent

So it's not just one thing, but many things.
I ran mine though the back of one of the soffits, and then routed them where I wanted. The soffits were outside the DD, so the only sound leaks are where the boxes physically are.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Not exactly sure from the sound perspective but most just run at least a 2" conduit to facilitate future swaps. Wherever you drop the speaker wires, make a groove just big enough to accommodate the width of the wire. Also, be careful about the size of cans if you are putting that kind of lighting in. Go with the smaller ones since the normal size ones will leak sound through the ceiling.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help, I'm starting to get it now, I will definitely run extra conduit for future upgrades.

And my plan is to run through the soffits into columns and into the cutout for the fire place cutout at the back of the room (the builder roughed it out for a fireplace, but, I'm going to use it as a media cabinet. There is a fireplace upstairs, we don't need two.

There is a doorway and a window on each side of the fireplace (plans are to relocate the door and remove the window (drywall over both).

The room I'll be using is 20 X 16 X 9' 9"

One other issue to deal with is the Air Handler that is in the adjoining room directly to the left corner of the screen as you face it (will need to isolate it as much as possible to deaden any noise coming from it) the builder left no room to put dry wall on the sides in the corner surrounding the unit so I will have to block it off from the theater room side)

Thanks again for all your help.

Happy New Year!

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.