AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polk audio RM6500 satellite speaker system and a psw50 polk subwoofer (older model - only has volume knob, not crossover or phase). Polk says because my satellites cant reproduce below 150Hz and because of low pass filters, that I need to run my front speakers through the sub and then the sub to front speaker outputs on the receiver. My friends disagree and tell me that I should run the sub to the sub-out on the receiver and set the crossover on the receiver to the same level as the subwoofer (150 HZ). Any advice?

·
Registered
707 Posts
The simplest way to set up your system would be to connect the Polk sub and the two satellites to the front left/right outputs of the receiver. Set the front speakers in the receiver to full range (large) and the subwoofer in the reciever to OFF.

The best way to run the system would be to bypass the passive high-pass filters on the satellites (should be pretty easy, it's just a blocking capacitor, probably in the Polk sub) and connect them directly to the receiver.

Then, bypass the lo-pass crossover in the sub (might be a little tougher, probably a jumper wire on the sub amp - might take some sweet talking with the Polk tech department to tell you what you have to jumper) and connect it to the subwoofer out on the receiver.

Then set your speakers to high-pass (small) on the receiver. Your sub to ON in the receiver. And, choose a 150 Hz crossover in the receiver.

The benefits of this second approach are better crossovers (active, 4th order Linkwitz-Riley) and the ability to use all of the speaker levels and test tones in the receiver for calibrating the system with a Radio Shack meter.

I wish that speaker companies would figure out that nobody has bought anything but a Dolby Digital reciever for the last five years and that the crossovers in even the cheapest receiver are better than they have ever built into their speakers. Stop putting all these passive crossovers in their sub sat speakers. At least don't make us jump through hoops -- give us bypass switches to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just got a set of Polk RM6700 + PSW303 sub (+ one more matching sat for 6.1 sound) and I'm in the same sitituation. I understand why routing the front speakers through the sub would be usefull if you only had 2 fronts and the sub, but I can't understand why this would be the best for a DD5.1/DTS 6.1 set up! Isn't a DD/DTS signal designed to utilize the ".1" sub channel for a reason?! I don't get it!:confused: At least they do give you the option to use the sub channel on the 303, so far it seems to sound pretty good to me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well, shut my mouth! After I just posted the previous, I went back to the Polk website to read more. I guess I just didn't want to believe the truth, but they are SO insistent of their method I decided to try it.

Had to move my sub and cut some wire, but I hooked it up as they recommend (tuner to sub, sub to fronts, "no sub" on receiver) and I'll be a monkey's uncle, it sound great! Much smoother bass response, better overall sound field, and huge improvement on stereo sources, especially music. Now, what to do with my 25' AR sub-woofer cable..........:)

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
SR, I felt the same way until I tried my Def Techs the way they suggest: pre/pro set to 'no sub', feed the sub amp full range, and let the speaker do the routing. (These have built-in powered subs, for anyone who doesn't know.) Vast improvement over the pre/pro LFE output.

Right now, I'm feeding the sub via the speaker cables. I'm going to try feeding them full range via the line-level inputs, but I'm not expecting to hear much of a difference. In fact, I'm going to change it right now. As Ahnold would say, "Ah'll be Bach."

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I'm baaaaack! Didja miss me?

Anyway, I removed the speaker terminal links, ran a couple of good RCA cables out of my closet, under the door, across the floor, and voila! There is a noticeable improvement. A little stronger, which can be adjusted via controls, and quite a bit deeper, which means I'm convinced! I will run some RG-59 in the walls alongside my speaker wires.

Yes, deeper. I have a bass CD which plays steady tones for about five seconds each, starting at 300 Hz and dropping 10 Hz at a time to 10 Hz. When I still ran the LFE from the pre/pro's LFE output, the bass got weak at 40 Hz, and I could barely hear 30 Hz. After I changed it as I described in my previous post, I could hear the 30 Hz sound better, 20 Hz could be felt a little.

Now, with the RCA connections, 20 Hz is completely there. Even the 10 Hz flutter is plainly audible! My chest now feels the deepest thumps. My pre/pro has a couple of preamp outputs, which is where I picked up the full-range line-level outputs for the sub inputs. I love experimenting.

Tweak on!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.