Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DirecTV to ReplayTV.

DirecTV box only has one S-Video which is going to my receiver for regular TV watching.

The other two choices are RF Cable (Antenna) or Composite (RCA). Which should I use for the "best" quality to my ReplayTV?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Either one is a poor choice compared to S-video but I'd say Composite will be better than RF most of the time. Also, I believe you can only use RTV RF input with the RTV internal tuner so you really have no choice but composite if you absolutely can't find a way to use S-video instead.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'm confused... what do you mean by the DirecTV box only having one S-Video going to your receiver for "regular" TV watching?

Do you mean something like you have a HD DirecTV receiver going straight to your TV so you can view programming live in HD and only using the Replay for regular SD programming? That's the only possible reason I can think for you using a setup like that.

If it's not HD, then why? DirecTV receivers can only output one video (meaning you can't have the S-video output something from Ch 2 while the composite output Ch 4).

There are S-video splitters out there, the kind which let you send the signal to 2 different places. As far as what's better, I can't tell much of a difference between S-Video and Composite, but I would totally avoid coax unless it's your only choice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ace987 - What I mean by regular TV watching is when I want to watch (direc)TV but not go through the ReplayTV.

You are right, DirecTV can only output one video, but through multiple paths. So I can have a S-Video going to my receiver and composite (or RF Cable) going to my Replay.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
You are right, DirecTV can only output one video, but through multiple paths. So I can have a S-Video going to my receiver and composite (or RF Cable) going to my Replay.
OK, but what do you mean when you say receiver? There are only two types of devices (that I know of) which people refer to as receivers in an entertainment system:

The satellite/cable box type which is more or less a tuner. Well, you wouldn't hook the output of the DirecTV to another receiver since it's output is meant to go to a TV, VCR, Switch, PVR or DVR.

The other receiver would be an audio receiver. Many people wire the output of their TV receiver (whether it be a cable/satellite box or even TV audio output) to the input of the stereo receiver for better sound. While that makes a lot of sense, you are talking S-Video (which unlike coax and the red/white leads of composite) only contains video information. The only cases where S-Video is used on an audio receiver is when that receiver is used to switch inputs (like to switch to DVD, VCR, Camcorder, ect).

In this case, a drawing of what you are trying to do might help us give you a better idea on how to give you the best quality picture with your equipment.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The key point is trying the setup you are describing (as best I can tell) is bad because you have only one decoder in the directv receiver. No matter what only one thing will be output, so you might as well run everything (s-video) through the replay. This will save you issues later when you have the replay set to record something and you or another housemate comes along and changes the directv tuner channel, thus screwing up your recording.

There's been lots of talk about these setups here, maybe in the archives now. But there are real reasons to avoid what you are describing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ace987 - I am not sure I follow. I'll explain the items that are in play.

ReplayTV

DirecTV Box

Audio/Video Receiver

My original question was: When I am connecting the DirecTV box to the ReplayTV, which connection is better? RF Cable or Composite Video? I am mostly talking about *video* but we can bring audio into play too since that seems to be happening here.

I am not sure what else there is to add. I am confused by your confusion.

Jeff D - You too are confusing me. How can I run everything through the Replay? I DO NOT want to use the Replay for everything. At my old residence, we only had basic cable and we were able to put up with the delay of switching channels. Now, I want to use my ReplayTV only as a recording device and not for time shifting (pausing live tv, rewind etc). I need to have two outputs from my DirecTV Box. One goes to my receiver for normal live TV (not going through the RPTV) and the other goes to my ReplayTV for scheduled recordings. Since the DTV box only has one S-Video output, I am sending it to my receiver. The remaining two choices for outputs are RF and composite.

I am NOT trying to tune different items. I am not under the impression that there is more than one tuner.

Now, is there something I should know? Is there any other alternative to what I am describing?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think most of the confusion lies in the "why in the heck would you want to watch live TV when you have a ReplayTV factor."

Seriously, the suggestion is to always use the ReplayTV, even when you are watching live TV. Most of the people here don't have any use for live TV. We just schedule what we want to watch before it ever comes on here. Not too many people channel surf either, we surf the channel guide, find what we want and record it in advance. Live TV to the majority of folks around here is a foriegn term.

So, really, what you should do is something like this:

Satellite Antenna------>Satellite Receiver------>ReplayTV-------->Audio/Video Receiver------->TV

If you don't use the AV Receiver as a switch and your TV supports audio outputs, I'd go:

Satellite Antenna------>Satellite Receiver------>ReplayTV-------->TV------->Audio Receiver

What you want to do is strange. However, if you want the best quality video for the Replay and still insist and splitting the signal so you can watch TV live and channel surf (*shudder*) quickly, get an S-video splitter like this one . Doesn't need to be that particular model, but it will give you two S-Video outputs if you one have one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
So, the single end on that splitter is a male and the 2 ends are female, right? The male could plug into my cable box and then the split could go, with the addition of 2 male/male cables, to my RTV and to my DVR, giving me a better signal than going s-video to one and RF to the other (assuming I only want to share the source)?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ace987 - I am very surprised at your response. At my old residence, we had basic cable (as I said) and even then we had the line split. It was easy because there was no decoder box needed (as you do with digital cable or satellite). We had the RF Cable split, one going directly into the TV and the other going into the ReplayTV. Why? Well two reasons. 1) Sometimes you don't want to put up with the delay in switching and the lowered quality and 2) Sometimes you want to watch Live TV while a show is being recorded.

While I do admit that I generally did not watch Live TV and watched mainly through the RPTV, I simply cannot do that anymore at the new residence. Our current setup was described earlier (DirecTV, instead of basic cable). The difference? Well, now instead of using the internal RPTV tuner, it has to send a signal via Serial to the DTV box, then it switches channel. Not to mention that even switching channels normalyl on a DTV box has a slight delay. Couple that with the very obvious loss of quality when viewing shows through the RPTV, and now you have multi-second delays for channel surfing as well as a bad PQ. I am not sure how anyone could stand it.

That's why I want the setup that I am using.

On a side note, isn't it funny that the RPTV gives you much better outputs (Component and Digital Optical) than there are inputs (S-Video, Composite, RF)?

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Sygyzy,

My only concern over the dual output from the directv box is the potential for screwing up your recording. If you're the only one in the house not a big deal, you look for a red led on the replay and if it's off then you can change channels. The problem is that the more folks in the house the more chances that this step can be missed. You may find that you plop down on the couch and turn channels to watch something you ran home for only to later discover the replay was recording a show and your changing channels on the directv receiver also chaned the signal feeding the replay, thus screwing up your recording. Under the setup you described this happens a lot (there's been many here who have fallen victim to this setup issue). I was just trying to forwarn you about the potential for what you may run into. I too had a setup like this and sure enough I had problems. It's really easy to screw up a recording without realizing it.

My suggestion was to just keep the configuration simple... run output from the directv receiver to the replay inputs and the replay outputs to the recevier. Skip the whole "live" feed thing. So you're a second or so behind the live running through the replay, and channel changes do suck because of the speed, all tv you watch has some delay so you are just getting a longer delay, there's really not much difference. The guide use should keep channel changing via "surfing" down so the channel change shouldn't be a big issue.

Did that make more sense?

and no-sh&& on the outputs, we've been amazed at that for years... And most of us think the TV set does a better job decombing so we use s-video out!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnacl
So, the single end on that splitter is a male and the 2 ends are female, right? The male could plug into my cable box and then the split could go, with the addition of 2 male/male cables, to my RTV and to my DVR, giving me a better signal than going s-video to one and RF to the other (assuming I only want to share the source)?
No guarantees there, but that's what I envisioned. There might even be cable that has 1 male connector going to the output and 2 male connectors going to different sources. Using 3 cables when only 1 is needed seems like a waste to me, but I wasn't going to spend a lot of time searching. Basically, I just wanted to get a picture up :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Ace987 - I am very surprised at your response. At my old residence, we had basic cable (as I said) and even then we had the line split. It was easy because there was no decoder box needed (as you do with digital cable or satellite). We had the RF Cable split, one going directly into the TV and the other going into the ReplayTV. Why? Well two reasons. 1) Sometimes you don't want to put up with the delay in switching and the lowered quality and 2) Sometimes you want to watch Live TV while a show is being recorded.
I dunno why you are so surprised, you are trying to do something that ALMOST nobody around here would do. The main reason Jeff already pointed out, too likely that someone will screw up one of your recordings. The reasons I pointed out like "why watch live and be required to watch TV at network times" and "be required to sit through commercials."

I bet you can't find 5 people in this forum with more than 100 posts that are currently doing what you are trying to do. It's just doesn't make much sense.

Sure, I've looked at live TV when I had cable. It was really easy to do. You didn't even need to split the cable, just run the coax into the Replay and the coax out the the TV, then when you turn off the Replay it passes the signal straight through and you can use your TV tuner. The Replay still recorded shows (as long as you had it powered up). Although I did this more in the "let me see if I can do it" sense since I had 3 Replays (still do) and not much of a reason to watch "live TV."

However, with digital cable/satellite boxes, it's not so easy. There are several people who buy an extra cable/satellite box for "live tv" viewing, but not so many who want to share the same box. It's just not worth the hassle when you can pay the extra $5 per month and not need to worry about lost quality (which you may have with the splitter) or people screwing up your recording (which WILL happen).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Around here, "live TV" is becoming synonymous with old terms like "Dumont Network"... in other words, extinct! :cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand your concerns regarding having my recordings messed up. And yes, with multiple people in the house, especially those not familiar with how the setup works, it has happened. But it sure beats the delay with channel surfing. Right now, I have it simply record shows when my roommate and I are at work or sleeping.

I'll look into the price of getting extra boxes.

And sorry for offending you guys with GASP, LiveTV!

Joking of course. Remember, I USED to be like you guys - watching TV through the RPTV exclusively.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
What you can do for an extra $5 a month is get another Directv receiver. You can dedicate one for the replaytv and the other for live tv watching. I highly recommend it because that is what I do.

The replaytv is constantly recording so whenever my wife or I want to watch live tv we switch to the live directv.

Oh BTW, composite should give you better audio and video over RF.

-mk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
And sorry for offending you guys with GASP, LiveTV!
It's not a big deal. Personnaly, I wasn't offended. Perhaps a little mystified by the whole thing, but to each their own.

Quote:
I'll look into the price of getting extra boxes.
On that note, I should of mentioned, that it would be a really, really good idea that IF you get another box, to buy a receiver that has a different IR code than your current DirecTV receiver. This way you can hide the remote for the receiver that is connected to the ReplayTV without worrying about someone using the remote and accidentally changing channels on the wrong receiver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.