AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of upgrading my home theater system and the last thing that I haven't made a decision on is with the power conditioning. I'm looking for a unit that has at least 10 outlets and voltage stabalization is not really a problem for me. Unfortunately out of the list of components I'm considereing below I can only audition (if necessary) the Monster unit as there are no dealers for the other units in my area where I could check them out.

The units I have been considering are:

1) Monster HTPS 7000

2) Furman RI-1220

3) Transparent Audio PowerBank 12

4) Richard Gray's RGPC 1200S

If anyone has any experience with any or all of these units I would appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the HTS 2600 Monster, and I still have popping in my speakers. I have blown a driver and a tweeter, from bad power while running through the power center.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael4JBL
I have the HTS 2600 Monster, and I still have popping in my speakers.
The pops are most likely caused by devices on the same circuit as your audio/video system switching on, and as they do, drawing instantaneous large amounts of current (inrush), momentarily dropping the line voltage and reducing the current flow to everything else on the circuit. Something like a split second brown out. The only solution is to avoid circuits with such devices especially those that switch on automatically and at inopportune times like refrigerators and electric water heaters. There is no power conditioner, including voltage stabilizer/regulator that can react fast enough to prevent momentary voltage drops due to inrush . They only help with sustained prolonged conditions.

As far as I know isolation transformers with balanced output are the best at attenuating ac noise within the audible range. Unless you're handy enough to mount one in a chassis yourself they get very expensive as the load capacity goes up. That's why most are not rated for amplifiers, receivers and large screen displays, like the Monster unit. However I know the Furman RI 1220 is rated for 20amps continuous and would easily handle most power amps, large screen TV’s etc. www.b-p-t.com may give you more bang for the buck than Furman though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BTW Mike, Your speaker blew because your amps clipped, Nothing to do with the monster hts 2600.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had a monster avs 2000 automatic voltage stabilizer (which I sold) in front of a monster hts 3600 (which I still have) and the combo did nothing for the pops in my system. Only running a dedicated line worked for me.

·
Registered
461 Posts
"Only running a dedicated line worked for me."

How much work was that for you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I started with a Monster 5100 Signature and saw an improvement, but switched to an upgraded BPT CPC (Clean Power Center) for roughly the same price after I researched the BPT offerings compared to Monster. My CPC (wow, is this thing solidly built!) includes a 2.5 amp balanced transformer for my front end components, and filtered power for the rest (amps and the like). While the time difference between owning the two units spanned several weeks (i.e., I did not do a side-by-side comparision), I believe the CPC does a better job with audio, especially in reducing "hiss" in the speakers when no source is playing. Video improvement is a toss-up.

Anyway, if you're interested in BPT and have any technical questions, email Chris Hoff from the BPT website--he is very prompt in responding to emails.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Anyway, if you're interested in BPT and have any technical questions, email Chris Hoff from the BPT website--he is very prompt in responding to emails.

How much money are we talking here?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ouch! I already spend serval hundred dollars on the power center that i have now, I can't justifing spending almost three times more, I don't have that kind of money, but I can't be replacing speakers all the time either.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
"Only running a dedicated line worked for me."

How much work was that for you?
Little actually, there was already an unused line(the neutral was shared with another circuit though) in my kitchen which opens up to the living room/hometheater. All it took was a discretely run 50 ft 3X10 awg extension chord (courtesy of Home depot) and a 16amp isolation transformer ( I’ll pm you with the details on how I got this if you wish but you can’t go wrong with www.b-p-t.com or www.elect-spec.com ). The transformer electrically isolates anything on its output/secondary from your house ac. Which is necessary and required to safely float a ground (no more ground loop) and generate a neutral (no more shared neutral.) If you can run a relatively short dedicated neutral, ground and hot (home run) to your HT you wouldn't need the isolation transformer as I did. The whole thing took one Saturday morning to setup and cost less than 1/2 what the monster avs2000 cost after discount and with much better results at least to my ears. good luck

·
Registered
798 Posts
Before you buy any surge protector or line conditioner, I would seriously advise you looking into a Brickwall Surge protector. They are inexpensive compared to the Panamax, Monster, Richard Grey etc. (About $250) and are absolutely Bullet proof protection. They offer various models with Isolated power . They can be found here http://www.brickwall.com/

I would not trust anything else!!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Interesting article on power conditioners in the new "The Absolute Sound". They compare 9 different models with some surprising results...

·
Registered
461 Posts
I may have to sell my monster power center on ebay and get the brick wall. But I have another option that I want to try first.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bought a voltage regulator on ebay and hooked it up last night, and it didn't stop the popping.

CMR, do you think the brickwall will stop the popping in my speakers?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
I bought a voltage regulator on ebay and hooked it up last night, and it didn't stop the popping.

CMR, do you think the brickwall will stop the popping in my speakers?
I guess a dedicated line is not practical for you. Whatever power conditioner you get make sure it uses capacitors. they might attenuate the pops a little.

Good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have a Monster HTS 2600 and it does not do the trick. The dedicated line is an endevor I am trying to avoid right now. Matt, did you check out the brick wall>

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quote:
I have a Monster HTS 2600 and it does not do the trick. The dedicated line is an endevor I am trying to avoid right now. Matt, did you check out the brick wall>
Sorry about that, You did post that the monster unit didn't help. No I haven't tried the brickwall but your problem is dips not surges. How 'bout this www.soundstage.com/revequip/staco_sb1001.htm The Staco UPS has a rectifier which usually means beefy caps. They're all business, noisy fan and all, but if you can look past that it just may be what you're looking for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.