AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just woundering what is the biggest CRT projector stacking you have all seen?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I am assuming you mean driving one screen? I won't count the 20 or so Sony CRT projectors I saw at Hammerhead last year when I picked up my NEC XG.

Doug Baisey has calibrated a triple stack of NEC projectors running a 15' screen. I don't know anybody else who has seen more than 2 running on anything. WSR uses a double stack of 9" CRTs and I think Art Sonnebourn uses a double stack. I will be in the double stack group in another 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Hi guys,

The first 'stacker' application that I ran across was a technology called 'MetaVision' and 15 years ago.

This was developed by a company in Hollywood of the same name that I would say was way ahead of its time and the first 'widescreen' I ever came across using a CRT projector to accomplish what they were trying to do.

This was driven by a processor that took the width of a 20' screen and split the image into three separated images seamless side by side, for the time it was nothing less then a emotional impact that I still think about, I was floored because I never seen this before, source material was 'Exodus' and up that close its hard to explain other then bringing tears to my eyes.

Up that close in film you would see the images 'jump' around, what we had was a panoramic window to the story that was real life and out of a data grade projector, Im not sure how they did it or what the media was, we were just given the cables

The projectors used were the NEC DP1200 series, if any of you have tried to do a reference white balance on one you would know what Im about to say, this was before we had procedures to do it and trying to get a even gray scale took quite a bit of doing with the controls we had, standing back I couldnt tell where the images overlapped and it was seamless, it was fantastic and glad to be part of making it come together. I often wonder what happened to them or where it was used.

In 'Showscan Motion Theaters' we used three XG's side by side but each throwing full screen to get the lumens we needed for the 15' screen, source was HD 'platter' material with great impact and 3D, these were the motion rides that had 'Space Race', 'Miners Trolly','Roller coaster' and other titles.

What this did was to allow the impact for that application and the desired affect and at the right price. To give you an idea it was hard to stand up to converge with the material running and a solid floor.

The thought is you can run each projector easier and not at the expense of a 3 DLP (semi-large venue) for the objective and costs of lamps.

In some applications you need to stack the 3 DLP for the desired screen and lumens, 32'X18'. Doug

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The largest "stack" I ever saw was in Mammoth. I ate breakfast at Tom's Place. Those Pancakes were at least a foot in diameter, and nearly an inch thick each. There were 6 of em. It was just too much for me to take it all in. It was truly an emotional moment. :D

Marc

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Well the biggest stack I have seen that were stil pleasing to the eye were on Pamela Anderson.
I think these were nine inch guns!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Our local planetarium has a total of 6 CRT projectors each illuminating a different section of the domed screen. I don't know if that counts as a stack for you or not.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
energeezer you stole my thunder........

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I thought it, but I was trying to stay politically correct!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Some of you will remember our big adventure here last August, double 9" Marquees running 111" width.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=166098 We may have to do that again soon, maybe a vertical stack in the 96" range, just to see how that might look :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I did the 1271's a couple of months ago and posted pics . Ready to do the G70's next week. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Oh, we're talking about CRT? I was goint to tell you about this girl I met on the beach in FLA, but we're talking about CRT's. It was a respectable stack, Oh well...

Chip S.

·
Registered
264 Posts
One of the demos we did had 8 electrome PJ

on a very very big screen it did a java 3d demo with the 8 heads (5120x2048) then I ran my demo on 4 of them . running 4x 1920x1080 each giving (3840x2160)

for the uncompressed video playback demo.

this was on one big screen so the image had to be stitched together for each demo.

the system we used had 13 video cards and I had 10 fiber channel disk box's feeding it for up to 1010MegaBytes/sec disk band-with for the playback. I had a lot to spare the content we got was only 24Hz. I took a gym-bag and stuffed it full of 35Gig hard-drives The biggest there was at the time with prototype typed on them.

And flew to L.A. to get the data the bag must have been 200LBS. it just about killed me.

we ran some other resolutions on it too I can not remember all we did.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
When I was working at Sony, at one of our conventions, there was a quad stack of 1271 PJs on a 12 x 16 screen. Worked out well, but took the better part of two days to setup.

DM

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I have done the quad stack thing before quite a few times with SOnys. BOth 127X's and (shudder) 1040's. I have also doubled Hughes JVC 335's

·
Registered
496 Posts
What about non-crt?

There is a hell of a stack at the Smithsonian history museum in Wash DC. I believe it had 10 or so PJs running a screen too big to guesstimate the size of... I dont know exactly how many PJ or the brand. I just saw "Yea, its big, but the PQ isnt so great. Blah....who cares..."

--Kieth

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.