AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor  /t/1520023/what-is-the-calibration-tone-frequency-used-by-the-avr#post_24413687

I have a 3 db difference between my REW mic/SPL meter (with sensitivity data added to the cal file) and the rat shack meter when trying to set the proper speaker sound level.

I'm wondering if the rat shack needs correction applied. ?

Google on Radio Shack SPL meter calibration

However, the sensitivity of the mics used in cheap SPL meters and low cost measurement-type mics is well known to be inaccurate and change based on weather, temperature, etc.

If you pay the big bucks (e.g $600+ for the mic it might be reasonable to expect something better)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1520023/what-is-the-calibration-tone-frequency-used-by-the-avr#post_24413711

However, the sensitivity of the mics used in cheap SPL meters and low cost measurement-type mics is well known to be inaccurate and change based on weather, temperature, etc.

If you pay the big bucks (e.g $600+ for the mic it might be reasonable to expect something better)

Yes, I did Google and that's when I realized I have no idea what frequency the AVR is putting out when setting the speakers to 75db.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor  /t/1520023/what-is-the-calibration-tone-frequency-used-by-the-avr#post_24413716

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1520023/what-is-the-calibration-tone-frequency-used-by-the-avr#post_24413711

Yes, I did Google and that's when I realized I have no idea what frequency the AVR is putting out when setting the speakers to 75db.

If your AVR is calibrated by Audyssey, it uses a chirp or sweep. so the full audio band is involved.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor  /t/1520023/what-is-the-calibration-tone-frequency-used-by-the-avr#post_24414282

Arny? Anyone??
Test tones are typically "White Noise" meaning that all audible frequencies are input simultaneously and at the same amplitude.  If the two mics differ by 3 db, that is a relative difference, an offset. As long as the difference remains 3 db on all channels, the system would be properly balanced, yes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts