AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the high end recievers have a user adujstable delay feature that delays the audio out of all channels so that lip sync issues can be reduced with digital displays (unlike CRT, digital displays have at least 20ms of delay or more)

So far I have found the that the Denon AVR-3803 and the Onkyo SR800 have this A/V sync delay feature and are under $1K. Are there any others say in $700 or less range?

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Make note that the new HK AVR 430 ($899) and AVR 630 ($1099) provide this function, and can be either global or independent by source input. I recall it being adjustable up to 50mS, and easily recalled by a single button.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm pretty sure both the new Yamaha's (1400--$800 MSRP & 2400--$1000 MSRP) have this feature. New Sony 5000ES is supposed to have it too, but this is $1500 MSRP.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Anyone know what the max delay on the Yamahas is? I'm disappointed to hear that the H/K is only 50ms. IMHO, this really needs to be at least 67ms (4 fields), and up to 100ms would give nice wigggle room for further delays in the display device.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Yamaha 2400 (and probably the 1400 too) allows a delay of up to 240ms.

In some setups it would be nice to be able to assign different delays based on the current input selection. The Yamaha does not offer this as best I can tell. The delay setting is global.

For example when I am using the Lumagen Vision processor for my video input it is desirable to have a delay. When I am using VGA pass-through from my RCA DTC-100 I don't want the delay.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard,

I hear you and for me the best thing to do is just split the difference. For instance ABC HD in Houston is known for its lip sync audio delay problems that are exacerbated by the delay in my DLP projector.

I plan to use about 50ms and that should make everything tolerable. Some stations border on being Godzilla movies currently.

-Mr. Wigggles

PS. according to MCODE above, the new HK's will have different delays for different inputs.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lawler
The Yamaha 2400 (and probably the 1400 too) allows a delay of up to 240ms.

In some setups it would be nice to be able to assign different delays based on the current input selection. The Yamaha does not offer this as best I can tell. The delay setting is global.
Oh, that's kind of a disappointment; I sort of assumed input memory was a given. Silly me. Still, nice to hear about the 240ms. These are specced out to be some very nice little boxes, huh? I'll bet they certainly have the capacity for DPLIIx. ;)

Welp, guess it's macro time...not so bad...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.