AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read more messages than one would care to admit to on just about every tv imaginable. I've seen the GWII and like the HD picture and DLP picture and like others it is simply beautiful.

While I will want to have it on one of those sources constantly, I have a feeling that cartoons (though SpongeBob at 60" might scare the bejeeebers out of my kids) and the wife's old movies/cooking shows/etc will still dominate when I don't have the remote control.

Therefore my question is this, those that have either the 50" or 60" how do you think your direcTv picture is on the GWII. Alot of the posts said something along the line of it's okay or it's bad for sports. But alot of those were initial impressions. Do you still feel that way after doing all of the tweaks and/or owning it for a period of time?

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
I have the 50" and since I'm getting it swapped for another 50" (I noticed apparent LCD alignment or focus problems) I have not done any major tweaking on this TV. I made brightness, contrast, color and hue basically comparable on all Picture modes, per Sound&Vision Home Theater Tune-Up (i.e., baby AVIA), and find I often use STANDARD picture mode -- sometimes PRO.

I am VERY IMPRESSED with DirecTV on this TV. I expected it to be horrible, based on some posts, and was surprised to see that it appears just as good as the cheap 25" Samsung (long story) it replaced, allowing for the fact that 50" will show digital/satellite artifacts more than a small direct-view. The anchor woman on CNN Headline News has a cartoony/orange appearance, but she's the only person on any channel that looks bad. People and flesh tones look fine on Fox, MSNBC, movies, etc. The higher-bandwidth channels like the Shopping Networks and the DirecTV ad for satellite Internet (channel 227?) and the DirecTV movie news almost always look sharp and great. Other channels are dependent on whether they are highly compressed or not. Some Starz! movies look really good, and some Starz! and other movies look pretty low-grade. I don't watch sports much, so I cannot comment on ESPN, etc.

Do not worry about DirecTV on this TV. Maybe tweak the DRC (I don't remember my settings for this). I use S-Video, since I have just regular DirecTV (low-end entry-level RCA model, about 4 years old).

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
When I got my first 60" the SD picture out of my RCA 480 looked awful.

When I got the HD200 it looked better and then even better after some

adjusting. When I got my replacement 60" (the first one was dropped

during delivery) the picture looked great right out of the box).

I did do some adjustsment per the video settings. Others have made

this picture even better by going through the service menu and doing

more adjustments. I have not done this yet. Look for the thread that

says "UMR does GWII) and it will show you the settings.

I am very pleased with the SD, HD, DVD and even the VCR picture on

this set.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 60" GWII and the HD-200 Sony receiver. Every picture on this set looks good, even in SD.

The only picture that doesn't look good is analog NTSC OTA. My old Sony XBR RP 53" looked better on that signal. Garbage in, garbage out. This set begs for a quality input.

Of course, now I refuse to watch analog OTA anymore, so it's not issue for me.

Try HBO HD ch 509 for great viewing of movies.

Make the HD receiver your next purchase if OTA digital is within reach.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.