AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to correct a problem but don't know what terminology to use to describe what I'm seeing. While watching "The Fifth Element," I can see what I describe as overlapping of the image scene where the scene pans down from space to a view of the pyramid. It's as if the top half of the image moves down slightly and then the bottom half catches up a split second later. Is this what I have heard referred to as "combing?"

Also, in various dvds, I can see "moving lines" in details of the image that do not run parallel to the top/bottom of the image. For example, if I view an image with a line running parallel to the bottom of the image and that same line is intersected by a transversal line at a 45 degree angle to the bottom of the image, as the image pans up or down, I would see "moving lines" inside the transversal and a clean line parallel to the bottom of the image. Is this called "screen-door" or "jaggies?"

FWIW, I have a NEC-540K paired up to a Sony 700P with component inputs being utilized and progressive scan turned on. My screen size is approximately 100" 16x9 and I sit about 13' away from the screen. Thanks to all who can help me relate what I'm seeing to some commonly accepted terminology!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
sounds like a sync problem to me. This is called tearing when the top half of image lags behind the bottom half by a millisecond. When I had this problem I lower the refresh rate of my HTPC from 75Hz to 60Hz. I'm not sure how to do this with a set-top box progressive player other than turning projector off wait a few minutes and then turning it back on to try to "sync" with the video. Another possibility is bad cabling. Have you try to use better cables? Try to borrow HTPC and see if this fixes the problem when refresh is set at 60Hz on video card. Good luck. Sorry to hear about your trouble.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't know if this will help but it worked for me. I was seeing the same thing on vertical pans. I have a Panasonic RV80 interlaced player feeding a Sanyo XP21N clone through a Quadscan elite. Joe House suggested I set the RV80 for 16:9 output which would cause the player to output all the information on an anamorphic disk. I then correct aspect ratios downstream.

Worked like an absolute champ. Gladiator is a good test disk as it has a lot of vertical panning.

Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.