AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps I am a moron, but I can't tell which ratio is the correct one when viewing widescreen movies.

I just got a BenQ 8220 4x3 FP and screen. The FP has a button that switches the ration from 4x3 (the default) to 16x9. But when I put in a widescreen movie (like SWII) it automatically seems to appear in widescreen (the image is smaller in height than a 4x3 image). If I then hit the ratio button, it gets even smaller in height and looks a little thin.

My Sony WEGA TV does the exact same thing, with the same effect.

So when, if ever, should I hit the 16x9 ratio button? I assume the default image is the correct ratio. But then what is my 16x9 button for?

·
Registered
76 Posts
>So when, if ever, should I hit the 16x9 ratio button?

1. when viewing "full screen" DVDs

2. when viewing HD content

Kevin

·
Registered
692 Posts
Your DVD player is probably set to "4:3 TV". That means it automatically resizes and letterboxes the programming. The downside to this is that you re losing a quarter of your vertical resolution (going from 480 lines to 360 lines). This isn't a problem on an NTSC television, because there are only 480 active lines. However, your projector can display much resolution than a NTSC television, and so the loss of pixels will be noticable. On your DVD player setup, you can find a setting for "16:9 TV". Choose that and the 16:9 mode on your projector. This will maximize your picture quality when watching widescreen movies. The only bummer is having to switch back to 4:3 on the DVD player when you want to use the full panel.,

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll reset my DVD player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.