AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the ae100 - trying to sum up all the "little expenses" added to the projector . So far - DHL shipping about $32, DHL Insurance about $24, and Double Boxed about $20. But what is this Customs Charge i see people getting hit with ? Should I figure another $60-$75 added to the above charges ?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It seems to depend on how the projector is described. I had my Marantz described as a computer display and was not charged any duty at all.

You need to specify to your vendor how you want them to describe it in the shipping documents.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreyw
I don't remember ever seeing a post regarding someone who opt to ship via EMS getting dinged for a "customs bill"... Maybe DHL does something to trigger this.

-Jeff
I was just about to say the same thing... That's why I opted for EMS shipping and pocketed the extra fees.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Which shipper is better, EMS or DHL? Why pay the extra $32 for DHL? From other posts, it seems that some people that chose DHL are getting charged a customs fee. I haven't seen anybody that used EMS get charged that fee.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas F

I haven't seen anybody that used EMS get charged that fee.
This is how it works (based on how it works in the EU): DHL delivers the package to US customs - as they are required to. Customs flips a coin. Is it heads then the package passes right through and DHL delivers it to your home. end of story. Is it tails then customs wants a fee based on the value of the package. DHL pays this fee _for you_. Afterwards they deliver the package to your house.

When you recieve a bill from DHL it's to cover the fee they've already paid and a fee to DHL for having dealt with customs in your place. This fee is way too high but there's no way to skip it. It's a risk you always take by using a courier service in stead of the postal service.

If the package is sent by EMS you still risk paying a customs fee, but nothing more. It's just express mail and therefore there are no one to pay an additional fee to.

-Jens

·
Registered
204 Posts
So who had their AE-100 delivered via EMS? Those of you who used EMS, how long did it take to received the pj. and were any taxes due? How much $$$ if any.

Did the Post office deliver it or did you have to go to a customs office to pick up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy
So who had their AE-100 delivered via EMS? Those of you who used EMS, how long did it take to received the pj. and were any taxes due? How much $$$ if any.

Did the Post office deliver it or did you have to go to a customs office to pick up.
Not that I've got a pj delivered but here's what i've notived scooping around the boards:

-EMS tends to go straight through customs more often than DHL.

-It takes one or two days longer - at most.

Anyone experienced otherwise please correct me.

EMS always delivers the goods to your country's postal service and lets them handle it from there. That means that you pick it up at your local postal office. I've never heard of any shipping method that required you to pick up a package at the customs office.

Just think of EMS as exactly the same as sending something by the regular postal service. It's just faster.

So far I've seen no indication that DHL should be substantially better than EMS. Unless the postal system in your country really sucks of course :)

-Jens

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had my AE100 shipped EMS. Took about 8 days to get here.....picked it up at the Purolator depot 1 mile from my office. No taxes, fees or etc. so far......if I bout it locally it would have been 50% more plus 15% in taxes...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had mine shipped double boxed, insurance, via EMS. I received it within two days, delivered to my door on a Saturday morning. I was shocked. I can't send a letter across town in 2 days. No customs bill either.

Ted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had mine shipped via DHL about three weeks ago and didn't receive a Customs bill. :) Got it yesterday for $59.51. :(

Unzar

·
Registered
148 Posts
EMS order/shipping timeline:

Ordered late Friday night (Saturday noon in Japan)

Projector was shipped Saturday night @ 8:30 pm Japan time.

Flew out of Japan Sunday morning

Cleared San Francisco customs 10:30 am Monday

Delivered to my door @ 2:00 pm Tuesday via USPS

No customs bill.

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy

·
Registered
581 Posts
I ordered my ae shipped via DHL, I received it about 2-3 days after I ordered it. Just received a bill from DHL for $60, $5 of that is DHL's fee for handling customs for me. If I had to do it over again I would NOT use DHL. DHL will cost you about $92($32 for DHL & $60 for customs)more and most of the time it seems that most people are getting theirs almost as fast using EMS. Mine wasn't even delivered by a "true" DHL guy, it was a contractor in a beat up old van!!! Just my two pennies.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.