AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is a repeat or can be found somewhere, please let me know and whack this thread.

I called DTV about getting HDNet and was told it was a pay-per-view service and not subject to a monthly subscription fee.

Is that right? Who the hell is going to pay $5 a hit to watch something in HD?

DTV's info on their HD programming leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure if there's anything I need to do to get their HD premium channels or are they all PPV?

TIA

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
They informed you wrong call back and talk to another rep. If you have a HD receiver you should be able to pick it up after activation. They may have been talking about the PPV movies on 198

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by steverobertson
They informed you wrong call back and talk to another rep. If you have a HD receiver you should be able to pick it up after activation. They may have been talking about the PPV movies on 198
Thank you Steve, I appreciate the clarification. I was not happy with that response from DTV.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Most D* CSR's have no idea what HD or HDNet is. When I called to get HD activated she had no clue. She got her supervisor who had me hooked up in 10 seconds (all they do is add the no cost "HDTV Pacakage" basically). Call back, try again. Or better yet, send them an email via their feedback form. I tend to get more knowledgeable reps via email, but probably just my luck I guess.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
To get HDNet on DirecTV, you must subscribe to any Total Choice package, or better. HDNet is included at no additional charge, but can not be bought separately, or with movie or sports packages alone.

DirecTV has 4 HD channels at this time:

198 - PPV HDTV movies. Also, the occasional the NBA HDTV game or special HD event, free of charge.

199 - HDNet from 10 am - 2 am ET, and PPV HDTV movies from 2 am - 10 am ET.

509 - HBO HD, which is available only with the standard HBO subscription.

543 - Showtime HD, which is available only with the standard Showtime subscription.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually it is also included with the Select Choice package for $23.99 if it is available in your area like it is in mine.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Yes Mr, but only if you were grandfathered in with that package from a while back. That package isnt offered anymore and theres been no indication of any new sub being able to get it or any existing sub to "downgrade" to it from something else. Unless you're saying you did either one of those things within the last year, year and a half or so

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can anybody tell me what you find on HDNet that's worth watching? I signed up last week after buying an HDTV receiver and, at least on the West Coast, there's been absolutely nothing that seemed to be worth watching, and half the time they only showed Pay Per View movies. Some deal!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
Yes Mr, but only if you were grandfathered in with that package from a while back. That package isnt offered anymore and theres been no indication of any new sub being able to get it or any existing sub to "downgrade" to it from something else. Unless you're saying you did either one of those things within the last year, year and a half or so
I just signed up today(5-3-03) for the Select Choice package and HDNet was included at no extra charge and all for $23.99/mo. You see the NRTC, including Pegasus and RuralTV, resells DirecTV programming in several areas where they have the exclusive rights to sell DirecTV equipment and programming. They offer slightly different packages and pricing than DirecTV in their particular areas. If you're not in an NRTC area then you buy directly from DirecTV and they no longer offer Select Choice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by charliemike
Thank you Steve, I appreciate the clarification. I was not happy with that response from DTV.
Heh, you think thats bad........ When I called to activate my SIR-TS160 the CSR told me after five minutes of talking with her supervisor that they didnt offer service for high definition receivers and to contact my local retailer.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFister
I just signed up today(5-3-03) for the Select Choice package and HDNet was included at no extra charge and all for $23.99/mo. You see the NRTC, including Pegasus and RuralTV, resells DirecTV programming in several areas where they have the exclusive rights to sell DirecTV equipment and programming. They offer slightly different packages and pricing than DirecTV in their particular areas. If you're not in an NRTC area then you buy directly from DirecTV and they no longer offer Select Choice.

Hope this helps.
Good info for those in areas served that way. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFister

Hope this helps.
That is excellent info. I'm trying to help my friends with their satellite versus cable decision. I think they may be very interested in the "Select Choice" package. How do we know if the NRTC/Pegasus/RuralTV is available in our "area" (what exactly is an area anyway)? I definitely don't live in a rural area (burb of Chicago) but was able to get Select Choice about two years ago. My friends actually live in the city of Chicago - how do we know if they can get NRTC/Pegasus/RuralTV to sell to them?

Thanks,

Young

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fredwooch
Can anybody tell me what you find on HDNet that's worth watching?
Two words: Bikini Destinations.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vfxproducer
Two words: Bikini Destinations.
"Miss Hawaiian Tropic USA Pageant " sounds promising too :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.