AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I could not find this specific question answered anywhere on these forums (or elsewhere online for that matter) but I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate thread addressed elsewhere.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver that has a "Night Mode" DRC setting. I've already determined I want to use this setting but there are three options, "Min", "Med", and "Max". I have no idea what these arbitrary designations represent in real audio terms, nor do I know how they effect the listening experience.

If someone could please shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. The HRT-5940 manual doesn't go into any details about these settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Dynamic range compression means that loud parts of the sound are made less loud and soft parts are made louder. The idea is to let you hear the soft parts better at low volume. The three options would control the amount of the compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks, FMW. I'm already aware of what DRC does, and that the three options are various levels of compression but what does that actually mean? I think the easiest way to convey what I'm asking is to tell you what my educated guess is as to what these compression levels mean, and you can tell me if i've got it right or if I'm way off base.

Min: lowest amount of compression, largest range between quiet and loud sounds, slight difference when compared to no compression

Med: moderate amount of compression, moderate range between quiet and loud sounds, more significant difference when compared to no compression

Max: highest amount of compression, smallest range between quiet and loud sounds, most significant difference when compared to no compression

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts