AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the verge of ordering a case for a NAS and notice that alot of people recommend the NORCO 4020 but I notice that they also have a 4220. Can anyone tell me the differences and if the 4220 is a good choice for a NAS.

Thanks for your help

Adam

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are two substantial differences in these two cases, I will start with the biggest one. The 4020 uses regular sata ports on its backplanes. This means you will run 20 sata cables from the 4 backplanes to your MOBO/Raid card/whatever else. The 4020 also has a mounting bracket for a 3.5in hard drive. The mid fan plate is slightly different to. There are four spots on the bottom of it to run cables through, vs the 4220 is blocked off except for small spaces on the ends of the fan plate.

The 4220 uses mini-sas. This means two things. You can either get raid cards that support sas, slightly faster but more expensive route. Or you can buy mini-sas to SATA breakout cables(my choice. The 4220 also does not have a 3.5 in drive bracket internally, it is fitted with a 2.5in one. I have read you can order the 3.5 if you really want it though.

The hard drive trays are also slightly different. I have been happy with the build quality on my 4220's, havent handled the 4020's trays, so I don't know if there is a difference beyond looks. I have also read that the lights on the 4020 are brighter, but again dont own the 4020

1 - 2 of 2 Posts