AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd imagine it's spelled out somewhere in the law. Remember Dish would love to sell service to as many people as possible, but are restricted by the law from providing network channels to certain customers.

You probably need to have thr RV registered as such in your state of residence. Requirements for that probably vary state-to-state.

I know that federal (HUD) definitions of a "home" require cooking, bathroom, and sleeping facilities.

Number #3 on your list would be questionable; the others should be OK.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
505 Posts
A boat? You are kidding. Does it have to be a big boat?

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Which of the following consitute an RV to dish network:

1.) Pop up camper.

2.) Camping trailer.

3.) Custom Van with sleeper option.

4.) Full size RV (e.g. Winnebago).

Are there other possiblities?

Thanks

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bump ^^

Any other input/thoughts?

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
As long as you can put a lisence plate on it and it is not an automobile, they would allow you to get network feeds. You will need to prove that you own it by producing a title and current registration.

·
Registered
110 Posts
According to IRS rules for deducting mortgage interest for a vacation home, a boat qualifies if it has a galley and a head. A portable propane camping stove doesn't count, unless it's mounted semi-permanently. Likewise, a PortaPottie does qualify if it's mounted...

So I'd assume that for FCC purposes, it qualifies. Hell, go to any large marina and check out the 60ft+ yachts with satellite dishes. They're even made with servo tracking motors to lock onto a sat while in a rolly anchorage. I'm sure that if the boat's big enough, they could even keep up while under way!

My 28' sailboat is a bit small for a sat dish - as is my wallet. Hell, one of the reasons I go sailing is to get away from television!

That brings up something that you'll find funny: My wife and I live on Salem Harbor in Massachusetts. A couple of weeks ago, we were walking down the beach (well, rocks really) and she saw a black box floating in the surf. As we got closer, we realized it was a 13" television! It had mounting brackets, so perhaps someone's satellite dish wasn't tracking properly and the (P.O'd) owner took it out on the poor TV!

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

·
Registered
730 Posts
So I'd assume that for FCC purposes, it qualifies. Hell, go to any large marina and check out the 60ft+ yachts with satellite dishes. They're even made with servo tracking motors to lock onto a sat while in a rolly anchorage. I'm sure that if the boat's big enough, they could even keep up while under way! [/b][/quote]

Really? It is non-trivial to lock into a satellite dish on solid ground, I can't imagine any boat except for a huge cruise ship at anchor being able to keep a signal locked with a 18" dish. How can those servos react to something so fast and chaotic as random waves when another boat drives by?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Remember that according the to HUD rules (quoted in the other thread) that an RV is for temporary use, not permanent use - so a boat someone is living on is right out.

I think a 60ft yacht with a head and a galley may qualify as a home, but it may not qualify as an RV.

I doubt that E* is going to send a HUD inspector working on the FCC's behalf to rule out your claim though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I work for an R.V. dealership that sells Dish systems. All you need is a registration for a trailer or motorhome. I have seen people use the registration to a flatbed trailer to get locals. As long as the registration says, trailer,RV or motorhome, you should be o.k. !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.