AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the "best" format to rip dvds to a harddrive with the following options:

1) Uncompressed (lossless) and keeping the DVD menu structure (extras, etc.)

2) Ability to stream the files to a windows media player and a PS3.

3) Can be seen by various HTPC frontend software for playback - ripping vob files to video_ts folders creates multiple folders and has trouble being seen by the frontend software as one video file for playing back the menu system, extras, etc. It seems there are many ways to rip the movie itself and provide streaming capabilities, but if you want the same function - (menus and extras) and quality as the DVD itself, it seems very limited in the formats and ways to ensure this happens. - what are the options.

4) Is ISO the only format that allows just one file and keeping the entire DVD menu structure and extras? If it is, it seems there are issues streaming ISO files, especially to components such as a PS3. I can rip to vob files into a video_TS folder stucture - but is there a way to combine the files into one file for easier recognition and playback over a PC or PS3 system?

There probably isn't a "universal" format available at this time; however, before I rip over 300 dvds, I want to make sure I did so in a way that they will be usable over the extended future and compatible with new technologies as they come along.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH /forum/post/15516353

I am looking for the "best" format to rip dvds to a harddrive with the following options:

1) Uncompressed (lossless) and keeping the DVD menu structure (extras, etc.)

2) Ability to stream the files to a windows media player and a PS3.

3) Can be seen by various HTPC frontend software for playback - ripping vob files to video_ts folders creates multiple folders and has trouble being seen by the frontend software as one video file for playing back the menu system, extras, etc. It seems there are many ways to rip the movie itself and provide streaming capabilities, but if you want the same function - (menus and extras) and quality as the DVD itself, it seems very limited in the formats and ways to ensure this happens. - what are the options.

4) Is ISO the only format that allows just one file and keeping the entire DVD menu structure and extras? If it is, it seems there are issues streaming ISO files, especially to components such as a PS3. I can rip to vob files into a video_TS folder stucture - but is there a way to combine the files into one file for easier recognition and playback over a PC or PS3 system?

There probably isn't a "universal" format available at this time; however, before I rip over 300 dvds, I want to make sure I did so in a way that they will be usable over the extended future and compatible with new technologies as they come along.

Thanks in advance.

Steve, you're not alone; everyone is trying to guess and future-proof before ripping a large number of discs. However, as you are probably already aware, there is no ONE answer, as a) there are pros and cons to each method or format, and b) it depends so much on your player.

For example, yes, IMO, .iso is the best way to get one file, menu structure, subtitles, etc., but, as you point out, not all players will stream .iso...and you're right, PS3 won't...at least natively. Now, does that mean you should bend your file structure...not go .iso...or bend PS3, by using a transcoder that will allow it to stream .iso? It's gotta be your call.

My best advice: the boards are a great place for info and to elicit opinions, but you're not going to be able to get yourself 100% screwed-on straight before you even start. No one is saying just burn all 300 DVDs without any kind of plan, but I would suggest you pick a test disc, play around with a couple of methods...discover the pros and cons of each, for your situation and equipment, and then try and settle on a method for going forward.

.02...good luck,

CD

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Just a couple of follow-up questions regarding your response.

1) What is the best way to create ISO files from DVD discs (copy protected). I have looked at a couple of different DVD rippers, but have not found one that will rip directly to a single ISO file. I have looked briefly at Daemon Tools, but could not figure out how to rip directly from a DVD disc when you have to deal with a "virtual drive". Does it work around the copy protection?

2) Someone has recommended Nero Media Home as a way to stream "any" format to the PS3 as it will transcode on the fly. If using such a program, does it matter what format you are using and would this conceivably allow the playing of ISO movies on a PS3? If not, are there any transcoding programs that will "convert" the ISO file to a, for instance, Mpeg-4 file and still maintain the menu structure and extras?

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH /forum/post/15518940

Thanks for the reply. Just a couple of follow-up questions regarding your response.

1) What is the best way to create ISO files from DVD discs (copy protected). I have looked at a couple of different DVD rippers, but have not found one that will rip directly to a single ISO file. I have looked briefly at Daemon Tools, but could not figure out how to rip directly from a DVD disc when you have to deal with a "virtual drive". Does it work around the copy protection?

2) Someone has recommended Nero Media Home as a way to stream "any" format to the PS3 as it will transcode on the fly. If using such a program, does it matter what format you are using and would this conceivably allow the playing of ISO movies on a PS3? If not, are there any transcoding programs that will "convert" the ISO file to a, for instance, Mpeg-4 file and still maintain the menu structure and extras?

Thanks.

DVD Shrink. It's free, fast, and will remove copy/region protection.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve*MH /forum/post/15518940

Thanks.

Steve, I second the opinion on DVD Shrink. If you can still find it, it is super-easy and versatile for ripping .iso. However, DVD Shrink won't offer the latest in decryption; if you don't mind spending a few bucks, AnyDVD is another choice.

As for transcoders for PS3, I try not to use one, so I'm no expert...and you might want to search around a little more on your own...but I would stick to the most popular, and the ones that seem to have the most information available: TVersity and TWonky.

CD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts