AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the house sound of Monitor Audio?

I recently heard a variety of Monitor Audio products. Entry level up to Bronze series.

Unfortunately they were all mostly hooked up to low end Marantz receivers.

The sound was harsh dry and bright. It reminded me of Klipsch plus Yamaha. This seemed strange as the speakers themselves appeared to be very high quality. I blamed the electronics.

Is this typical of Monitor Audio? Should I arrange a test with different electronics?

Most Curious.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
While you're not the first person I've seen state that Monitor Audio speakers sound bright, or even harsh...

Keep in mind that sound is so subjective that what you might think is harsh others love for being detailed...

As other stated... Marantz makes solid products (even their lower end), so I wouldn't blame the dislike for the Monitor Audio speakers on electronics...

I'd say just go audition some different speakers...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can appreciate the different personalities of speakers. I heard B&W on Rotel and hated them. Heard them on Macintosh and they were unbelievable. I have heard Klipsch on Yamaha and hated them. Heard them on Cary Tube equipment and WOW.

The Monitor speakers I heard almost seemed out of phase.

I believe in second chances. Didnt want to be mean and rule them out.

So regarding the Marantz: They generally sound good and would be similar to maybe NAD?

·
Registered
19,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19631858

The Monitor speakers I heard almost seemed out of phase.

I believe in second chances. Didnt want to be mean and rule them out.

So regarding the Marantz: They generally sound good and would be similar to maybe NAD?

Sometimes speakers come from the factory out of phase. I had a

pair of PSB Image B2 that were out of phase. I took them to a tech

and he worked on them and put them back in phase - also, all the

radial caps in the crossover were replaced with poly caps - more for

quality than anything else, and not the real expensive ones. They

sounded more balanced with better resolution, being in phase.

I like Marantz and Harman Kardon receivers - I have not listened to

the NAD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the info. I have owned and enjoyed the HK equipment. I consider the NAD to be a step up. It is smoother with just the right warmth. Easier to listen to for extended periods without fatigue. HK is good but NAD even better. Treat yourself to a listen sometime. Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.