AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can, Samsung HLN617W in particular, can last? Is it depended on bulb like front projector? If yes, so we can easily change the bulb and we get the same quality right? but if not, what can we do or we just buy new one..

·
Registered
14 Posts
YEs the bulb can easily be replaced, I believe the Samsung comes w/ an additional one in the box. 6,000 hrs. on a bulb. A new one costs between 500-800.00$ I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My HLN617W did not come with an additional bulb, nor was one specified as being included in the manual.

My understanding is that a new bulb is around $250.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A few minutes ago 9Literally) I just bought the Sammy 61" and the sales guy said a new bulb costs about $150.00

If you get an extended warranty (which nearly everyone recommends) then a new bulb is covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bulb isn't always covered by the warranty. Ultimate Electronics doesn't cover it, for example. Circuit City does.

I got mine from CC and got the warranty specifically because it did cover the bulb.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
supercop:

Samsung claims a bulb life for their DLP RPTVs of 8,000 hours. It is much less for front projection DLPs and probably somewhat less for the 61" RPTV. However, this is based upon something like "mean time before failure." As I understand the bulb life issue, after an initial "settling in" period (some guestimate at 100 hours), the bulb settles into a brightness level that lasts for most of its life. Since these sets are so new, aside from malfunctions (e.g., defective bulb, damage in shipping, etc.), we don't really know how long the bulb lasts. snicky910 is close to the information we have received from AVS Forum members who have replaced their bulb due to malfunction. However, as sales of these DLPs increases, the cost will certainly decrease.

Aside from the bulb, there are only two other moving parts in the set (leaving aside the DLP chip itself for a moment): the color wheel and the fan(s). Either one of these could fail but if computer hardware is any indication, the "mean time before failure" figure for these is probably very long indeed. However, they are replaceable. Cost is unknown at this point. I assume that, like the light bulbs, as the sales of these increase, the cost will come down.

I have seen figures for the failure of the chip itself as high as 100,000 hours but I don't really know. Texas Instruments probably has a figure that would be interesting to know but the bottom line is it is a REALLY long time.

So, unless your fan or your color wheel needs replacing, a new bulb will make the set perform as well as when it was new for the rest of your life. I am quite certain however, that other technologies will emerge that will be more appealing than the current DLP although it certainly is marvelous now. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.