AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the life span of plasma? what we can do after it runs out of the life span or we just buy new one.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
For previous generations of plasmas, the stated life was about 20,000 - 30,000 hours until half brightness. This is directly related to how 'hot' you run your plasma. Out of the box, most are to intense.

The latest news for 2004 released plasmas, the stated life expectancies are increasing. Fujitsu & Panasonic have now stated 60,000 hours.

Anyway you look at it, they should perform for years and years and years.

Currently, one would have to replace the glass PDP panel itself at the end of it's life. This (at current part prices) would be cost prohibitive, since the price for a new panel is near the total cost of whole new plasma.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer
... the price for a new panel is near the total cost of whole new plasma.
Brucer,

why is it so? Is the margin on new panels so high or the rest of a plasma display is so (relatively) cheap? Do you know the structure of plasma pricing?

Andrzej

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Heck no, it's worse than that, all the parts are high. The rest is not cheap.

Why?, probably because someone will pay it (say insurance companies in a claim?)

TH-42PWD5UY

PDP Part #MD42505A1J = $2730

Front lens = $1272

Check out replacement cost on some of those circuit boards:

http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/Epartr...istChoice.asp?

If you enter 'TH' under model number and then click on the 'list parts' a drop down menu will appear with all the model numbers. Then just pick one.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Andrzej,

The price of the panel is being compared to the price of the new, complete, *discounted*, retail unit. I never see current, unique repair parts or assembleies of current items at 40% or 50% discount (some discounts are available if one is an authorized repair station). Parts or assemblies are full retail + then some. Panels are big, heavy, require special handling, difficult to ship, etc. They also don't want someone assembling a TV "one piece at a time" as Johnny Cash would say, and then have the cost be less than "suggested retail" let alone less than true dealer cost.

Thus, parts are not cheap.

After seven years, the parts are legally eligible to go in landfill anyway.

Depending upon the product, part, demand, and manufacturer the parts may not end up in a landfill.

Unless one is a collector or nostalgic, technology gets obsoleted so quickly

these days that these wonderful Panasonic and Fujitsu plasmas may be considered junk by 2010 and not worth repairing. Indeed, the cost alone of today's glass panel may exceed by a great margin a complete, vastly superior set that may be available in just a few years.

Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

·
Registered
794 Posts
Oh boy, these Panasonic parts are indeed very expensive. It looks like the total of all parts needed to assembly one plasma panel would be at least twice the cost of new plasma.

Paul, are you saying that the MSRP already represents "discounted" price? Discounted compared to what?

Andrzej

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
If you were to replace every part in a $20,000 car, it would quite literally run on the order of $50,000.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brucer

The latest news for 2004 released plasmas, the stated life expectancies are increasing. Fujitsu & Panasonic have now stated 60,000 hours.
Brucer,

Have you seen this number in association with the recently-released Panasonic 6-series ED commercial and consumer plasmas (6UY/42PA20U)? Or only the upcoming models?

Thanks,

Descolada

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Descolada
Brucer,

Have you seen this number in association with the recently-released Panasonic 6-series ED commercial and consumer plasmas (6UY/42PA20U)? Or only the upcoming models?

Thanks,

Descolada
Come to think of it, now I'm not sure which I saw that referenced to. I started looking ('cause I think it was in one of the Japanese descriptions), then the search function went down.

I did find this reference to the Fujitsu E-Alis 55":

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...F030818_e.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.