AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can episodes recorded in low quality on my Replaytv 5080 be burned to a DVD, so that I can save 6 one hour episodes (after removing commercials) on one DVD? I have read that medium quality recordings are almost ideal for DVD. What is the lowest bit-rate the DVD format will support? Thanks for the help.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I can put 10 half-hour standard-quality SpongeBob episodes on a DVD (w/o removing comercials). I don't use any authoring tools since my $50 Apex 1110W DVD player plays raw ReplayTV MPEGs just fine. It all depends on the DVD player.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to say Standard quality not low quality. I use evtdump and rtvedit to remove commercials. I checked the replaytv standard quality mpeg2 file and it showed up as being somethingx720 resolution. I don't rember the first number, but when I saw it, it struct me as being close to DVD.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
Standard quality = Low quality, always has, always will :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Do you mean that you simply copy the mpg files onto the dvd and burn it, without doing the VIDEO_TS directory, etc that normal DVD's require? If yes, when you put this in your player, what shows up on the screen? is it like a directory listing or something like that and you just choose the file to play?


Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
I can put 10 half-hour standard-quality SpongeBob episodes on a DVD (w/o removing comercials). I don't use any authoring tools since my $50 Apex 1110W DVD player plays raw ReplayTV MPEGs just fine. It all depends on the DVD player.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hwengmgr
Do you mean that you simply copy the mpg files onto the dvd and burn it, without doing the VIDEO_TS directory, etc that normal DVD's require? If yes, when you put this in your player, what shows up on the screen? is it like a directory listing or something like that and you just choose the file to play?
That's correct! Just burn the RAW ReplayTV MPEGs to a DVD. No special directory structure needed! When I put the DVD in my Apex 1110W player, a list of the MPEG files is shown on the screen, so you can select them to play. I also copy the relatively small .EVT and .NDX files to the DVD so I can easily import them back into DVArchive in case I want to play them on my ReplayTV.


By the way, I paid $50 for this DVD player at Walmart.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Thats, like, too easy!


Do you know if this will also work for burning those files onto a CD-R instead of a DVD-R? Don't have a DVD-R drive yet (someday the wife will see the wisdom in all these purchases....)!


Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
That's correct! Just burn the RAW ReplayTV MPEGs to a DVD. No special directory structure needed! When I put the DVD in my Apex 1110W player, a list of the MPEG files is shown on the screen, so you can select them to play. I also copy the relatively small .EVT and .NDX files to the DVD so I can easily import them back into DVArchive in case I want to play them on my ReplayTV.


By the way, I paid $50 for this DVD player at Walmart.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hwengmgr
Thats, like, too easy!


Do you know if this will also work for burning those files onto a CD-R instead of a DVD-R? Don't have a DVD-R drive yet (someday the wife will see the wisdom in all these purchases....)!
I believe RAW ReplayTV MPEGs will work from CD-R on my Apex player; although, I haven't tried it yet. I have tried some VCDs (on CD-R) and they worked great.


My recommendation is to copy a ReplayTV MPEG to a CD-R, take it down to you local store (GoodGuys, Circuit City, etc.) and try it out on different players until you find one that plays RAW ReplayTV MPEG files.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Sounds like an activity for this weekend!


BTW, if you can put 10 spongebob episodes on 1 DVD-R, and if I remember right, they hold 4.7Gig, then each episode must be about 470Meg. Does that match what you are seeing?


Or does spongebob just get squeezed more than other programs? (sorry, just had to throw that in!)



Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
I believe RAW ReplayTV MPEGs will work from CD-R on my Apex player; although, I haven't tried it yet. I have tried some VCDs (on CD-R) and they worked great.


My recommendation is to copy a ReplayTV MPEG to a CD-R, take it down to you local store (GoodGuys, Circuit City, etc.) and try it out on different players until you find one that plays RAW ReplayTV MPEG files.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hwengmgr
Sounds like an activity for this weekend!


BTW, if you can put 10 spongebob episodes on 1 DVD-R, and if I remember right, they hold 4.7Gig, then each episode must be about 470Meg. Does that match what you are seeing?


Or does spongebob just get squeezed more than other programs? (sorry, just had to throw that in!)
Actually, they're a little smaller than that:


_SPONG~1 MPG 433,613,824 01-11-03 11:30a _SPONGEBOB_SQUAREPANTS__WOR.MPG


I believe animated video (cartoons) compresses well since it doesn't have as many unique colors as does "regular" video. That's why you can get away with recording animated shows at standard-quality and still have them look very good.


My kids have never complained about the quality of SpongeBob recordings!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Mine never complain about watching spongebob either!


Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
My kids have never complained about the quality of SpongeBob recordings!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
And animated video compresses very well because pairs of frames are identical in content. One second (30 frames) of animated video is actually 15 frames, each shown twice.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Well, actually the standard (low) quality Replay video's are a valid DVD spec at 352X480 resolution. RichA has a little "How To" for making mini dvd's directly from Replay standard videos.

http://www.pcphotovideo.com/replay_ramblings.htm


You can put these on either DVD's or CDROM, but there are very few players that will play miniDVD's made on a CDROM (but any DVD player should play on DVD media).


I tried these miniDVD's on my Apex 5131 (the $90, 3 disk changer), but I get only video and no sound. I also tried just burning the video directly to CDROM (as Steverap does for his DVD's on an APEX) and funny thing is this way I get sound and no video.


So unless and until I figure out a workaround for my DVD player, I've got to stick to reencoding to SVCD or VCD. Of course with a baby coming in a few weeks, my wife is warming up to the idea of baby videos on DVD so a DVDRW might be in my very near future!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
antibody beat me to it... yep the std replay files are standard DVD spec in size. It's a mode called H1 and it's perfectly fine. You may need to tweek some settings in you dvd app. Or maybe you'll need to patch the mpeg file, but it should work fine.


Minidvd is a different story, it's putting a DVD filestructure on a CD and getting it to play. The trick is the DVD player firmware must be able to deal with this. There are several like the Sampo and Apex and other cheap dvd players that can do this. Don't expect any of the big names to support minidvd.


Antibody, the problem you may be seeing with the video and no audio could be the fact that the audio for the replay mpegs is an mpeg audio stream. Try demuxing the stream and converting it to stereo AC-3 with besweet (or besweet gui) (see doom9.org if you need the tool. Then remux the file back to a mpeg with the ac-3 stereo audio. That might work. You're playing in a hacked crazy world with this stuff, best bet is to make the stuff you are trying to play as close to DVD as you can. =)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
This may be redundant having posted this to several threads, but...


After reading and participating in countless threads about authoring a DVD from ReplayTV files, to me, the magic recipe is to record EVERYTHING at Medium Quality. It's an excellent compromise among quality, reliability, and size--I can fit almost 3 hours of Medium Quality content on a DVD.


If you have "Womble" and Ulead's "DVD Movie Factory 2", it's a simple matter of editing the file in Womble, saving the file, loading the resulting file into DMF2, and burning the DVD. A lot of us have had many difficulties with both High Quality and Low Quality recordings. Your milage may definitly vary on this, but my experience shows that Medium Quality is the way to go. Because DMF2 doesn't re-render a Medium Quality file, what you see on the ReplayTV box is what you see on the DVD. Video and Audio quality and sync is maintained, and the final result looks surprisingly good.


See shameless plug in my signature below for more details...


(Note: I'm using a model 5040.)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
This may be redundant having posted this to several threads, but...


After reading and participating in countless threads about authoring a DVD from ReplayTV files, to me, the magic recipe is to record EVERYTHING at Medium Quality. It's an excellent compromise among quality, reliability, and size--I can fit almost 3 hours of Medium Quality content on a DVD.


If you have "Womble" and Ulead's "DVD Movie Factory 2", it's a simple matter of editing the file in Womble, saving the file, loading the resulting file into DMF2, and burning the DVD. A lot of us have had many difficulties with both High Quality and Low Quality recordings. Your milage may definitly vary on this, but my experience shows that Medium Quality is the way to go. Because DMF2 doesn't re-render a Medium Quality file, what you see on the ReplayTV box is what you see on the DVD. Video and Audio quality and sync is maintained, and the final result looks surprisingly good.


See shameless plug in my signature below for more details...


(Note: I'm using a model 5040.)
I'll agree with jbarr, it is a shamless plug. =)

Really med quality is the best for transfer to DVD.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Apex 1110w was the one listed in the other thread as playing a replay Mpeg recorded to DVD (Apex has a menu for mpeg's on a CD/DVD).
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top