AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With both my DLP projectors I see a blurring when watching DVDs on either my HTPC or my progressive scan DVD player (Toshiba 5109). No problem when I switch to satellite TV - even with the same movies!

It looks something like the intro to this site when Alan and David slide across the screen, but not so choppy. Someone on the DVD section mentioned this and called it the "matrix" effect. Apparently both Sony and Hatachi are aware of this and have changed their processing to "fix" it.

Supposedly it is a 3-2 pull down problem??

Anyone else seen this or have an explanation?

Thanks,

Grant

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Grant,

Could people be using 'Matrix effect' when referring to the 'judder' that seems to be inherent in 3:2 pulldown?

Lots of discussions/explanations of this here and on other boards. As I understand it, basically what you see is every other film frame for a 1/60th of second longer.

This oft referenced link has info: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

JasG

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks JasG,

I had previously looked at this article, but your suggestion that it might be judder is plausible. The example of "vertical filtering" looks something like it and since the Genesis chip has a problem with this then (and my HTPC?) maybe trying a DVD player with one of the new chips could be the solution (they're supposed to be better at this kind of processing).

I have become very sensitive to this "judder" and it is driving me nuts! Maybe Alan or SSpears can suggest something. I'll try again on the DVD Hardware section. I am going to change my refresh rate on my HTPC to 72.

I can't believe others aren't vigourously complaining about this - makes the chroma bug look like a non-issue!

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For me this is one of the most despairing aspects of video -the dreaded Matrix Effect! It has been suggested to me that this problem is inherent to DLP projectors, or a 3-2 pull down problem. I DON'T THINK SO!

Both my DLPs are fine on sat. T.V. so I doubt it's a DLP problem! I see this blurring effect on s-video (not 3-2 pull down) so probably not a 3-2 pull down problem.

What about a DVD problem! I am being to think so - just like some DVDs have a crawlie problem (for some projectors) while others do not. I got an email from someone seeing the same thing as me and he suggested that U571 was clean while Proof of Life was not. He is right! U571 looks very good - barely any problem, if any. Same thing with TS2 - it's clean while TS1 is not!

Makes me wonder if some company or companies producing the DVDs are cutting corners and hoping noone will notice!

Yes, there are tears in heaven!

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.