AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the absolute max anyone has ever upgraded their replaytv?

My replaytv came with like 40GB hard drive I think. My original showstopper came with even less.

Is 1.5TB the max amount anyone has ever upgraded their replaytv?

I believe you can have dual IDE drives and the largest made is 750GB.

I think you can also have a single SATA drive if you had an IDE-to-sata adapter however you can only do 1 drive. I believe 1.5TB is the currently the largest drive?

So would I be correct in assuming that 1.5TB is the max amount of space the replaytv has ever been upgraded to date?

Thanks.

P.S. Can we compose a list of working SATA-to-IDE adapters since seagate announced they will no longer me making the IDE drives that the replaytv needs?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
There is no shortage in compatible IDE drives. There is no size limit, but most cache schemes bigger than 8 meg do not work, so 16 and 32 meg cache drives mostly do not work. Then there is practical limit of the number of shows slowing down response and causing crashes if there are multiples of such Replays on the same network. Dual drive systems are not worth the hassle.

500s are popular. I have 300s in my 5 Replays and have never been short of space or had refresh problems. With the ability to offload shows to DVArchive, creations like you suggest are unnecessary and not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
In a dual drive system all it takes is for the Replay to not see one of the drives fast enough and boom, all shows are gone.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/15519485

There is no size limit...

Sure there is, we just haven't reached it yet. I believe someone figured it out years ago, something like 3.2 Terabytes. That figure seemed quite unreachable back in the days on 160GB drives, but we're fast approaching that limit, if that is the limit.

However, like you said, the size isn't the limit, the number of shows on networked machines becomes a big problem after awhile.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I tried a 500 GB for awhile and found out that was really too big, in my opinion. I found a single 320 GB drive to be the "sweet spot" for the RTV's, in my opinion. Plenty of space and by the time it ever gets full, there are too many damn shows on it anyway. (But then I have 3 RTV's networked so space really isn't an issue.)

If you're thinking about 1.5 TB for archiving, then better to use DV_Archive (an awesomely sweet bit of work, there) and your PC or laptop and archive to an external USB, firewire, or esata drive.

If you're just trying to set a record, then go for it and have fun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
In practical terms the Replays become unstable with large hard drives - at least if you have networked them, and why wouldn't you. I have a 1.5 "dynamic disk" (1000G and 500G) drive in my virtual WiRNS Replay and cannot expose the directory to the real Replays or they crash consistently while trying to load the guide.

I have one 200G Replay and one 500G Replay, and never come close to filling the 500G because it starts crashing and quitting recordings midstream. So I'd hold to the 300G or less and keep the number of shows on it well below 100.

Still looking for a Replay-like capability for storing lots of video online. Have tried numerous HDTV and Hauppauge cards and free- and pay-ware programs on a fairly high-powered HTPC and have not been satisfied by any of them. Most are crappy software, i.e. they crash - frequently because of crappy video card drivers but the Beyonds and Myths and their friends leave me unimpressed. There's a healthy market there but for some reason likely having to do with lawyer-heavy copyright owners there is nothing reasonable available for someone with an appetite for keeping lots of video online.

I'm still tempted to stock up on these ReplayTVs going for sale and beef them up and network them but there are bunches of problems there too.

Or I could turn the TV off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been trying for a couple of weeks to find an online retailer with Seagate 320GB DB35 (ACE) in stock. Although they say they're in stock, guess what: once I placed the order, "Oops! We thought we had those! Sorry! Backordered."

Does anyone know where I can get a couple of those?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
ebay

pc connection

macmall

fadfusion

electronicadirect

pcnation

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tony:

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them have it. They have SATA drives. From what I'm hearing on AVS, the SATA/PATA adapters do work (at least some of them), albeit at additional cost. The problem is, Seagate has apparently discontinued the PATA DB35 line.

There are some refurbs on eBay (from the UK), but I don't know if that's a good idea. Plus, I don't know if refurbs carry the 5 year warranty.

Thanks again.

Bill

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
CompUSA had a bunch of IDE 80's and 160's on the shelf yesterday. I didn't bother to note the make/models. If somebody notices a "known to be good" model in one of these stores, please post it. I'd consider it to be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf75 /forum/post/15525641

In practical terms the Replays become unstable with large hard drives - at least if you have networked them, and why wouldn't you. I have a 1.5 "dynamic disk" (1000G and 500G) drive in my virtual WiRNS Replay and cannot expose the directory to the real Replays or they crash consistently while trying to load the guide.

So how are you using virtual WiRNS in your setup if you can't use it as a library for your networked Replays?

Quote:
Or I could turn the TV off.

The networks are making that more and more easy by their content.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts