AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G11 has about 900 hours on the bulb. I would like to get an extra 10 to 20% of life out of it. My average time on would be around 2 to 3 hours each strike. I have never run for less than 30 or more minutes at a time. Is or has any one got 1200 or more hours real use? Has anyone had a bulb failure or explosion?

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

·
Registered
408 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the D-ILA will not operate past 1000 hours on the same bulb. It's a safety feature to guard against a well-worn bulb exploding.

Milori, Dean, et al., should be along shortly to confirm.

Kirk

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk:
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the D-ILA will not operate past 1000 hours on the same bulb. It's a safety feature to guard against a well-worn bulb exploding.

Milori, Dean, et al., should be along shortly to confirm.

Kirk
The G11 has a timer and will not operate past 1000 hours. All you have to do is reset the timer.

------------------

William
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Apparently, Disney has several D-ILA FPTVs at their amusement parks, and they just reset the bulbs until they fail, sometimes lasting over 2000 hours.

Some D-ILA users here on the forum have reset their bulb timers and have passed 1500 hours of use.

But there is the risk of bulb explosion damaging the projector apon failure, and that is a heavy cost to weigh in the balance.

-Dean.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I ran one of my bulbs to almost 1500 hours and the only problem was that the light output was way down.

Frank

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
The free version of Dilard will allow you to make a simple macro to either reset the bulb, or set it to a specific time.

The one-line of code is either:

Projector.LampTimeResetf>

or

Projector.LampTime = 482f>

Where 482 is the number of hours that you want to be put on the timer.

After you've typed the one-line macro, just run it (click "Run"). That's it. You're done.

Personally, I prefer the latter technique (setting to a specific time). I intend to go to about 1500 hours on my G11 (that is not necessarily a personal recommendation or endorsement of this idea).

When I get to 1000 hours, I am just going to set it back to 500. When it times out the second time, I'm going to pull it. I feel comfortable with the 1500 hour number. I don't feel comfortable past that.

That's just me. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hi William,

There's two things that kill these lamps. Heat and lamp strikes. The fewer the lamp strikes (start-ups) and the lower the ambient temperature of the lamp (to a point, of course) the less stress on the lamp and the longer it should potentially last. I currently have an experiment going on in one of our jobsites (A BIG sportsbar) where we're running a G-20 in an enclosure with intake and exhuast extremely high velocity fans running. The box isn't the experiment - we're running the PJ in an un-airconditioned area on a 180" rear screen so that part's needed to flow room temp air through for PJ cooling (and yes, it does make a darn nice 180" picture). By the way, as a side note, for those wondering how to improve black levels, put it on a high contrast rear screen - problem solved.

Anyway, the positioning of the intake and exhuast vents are the key. The intake, with forced input from the fan (Idon't have to worry about noise so these fans are loud and blow like maniacs) is right over the PJ intake, while the exhuast fan is right in front of the output fan of the PJ. I'll try to let you all know how the extended hrs work out, but so far (with 1300 hrs) I really haven't noticed a significant drop in light output. Consequently, I'm just as interested as ya'll are as to the effects of heat on performance (they have minimal lamp strikes per hour since the PJ's are turned on once a day and run for around 12 hrs).

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.