AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm feeling like there is a dearth of juicy tips and eyeopening information around here lately. There is a broad range of participants with all levels of knowledge. I bet a lot of people are afraid to post what they know, because they think it must be obvious. I bet too much is going unsaid. So I would like everyone to tell us one thing you have learned about projectors/set-up/calibration whatever, that was a big surprise to you and was helpful to your understanding. Everyone can probably learn something.

Ok, I'll go first.

....Hey, this is hard. Let's see.... Oh, I know:

"Clarity" and resolution don't create as much of an impression of detail as brightness and contrast do. High brightness and contrast seem to make things seem more detailed, even if the chip resolution is just the same. So go for mucho lumens.

There, I hope that saves a few of you from buying dim projectors that you'll soon want to replace.

Ok, who's next? Simple is good. Asking for clarification is good too.

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

[This message has been edited by JHouse (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
JHouse,

Great topic. I remember when I first bought a front wheel drive car and my mechanic/friend said "You've read about torque steer and now you own it." Same thing happened to me with front projection.

I lurked forever and read my face off. Then I did what I usually do which is jump in somewhere a notch off the bottom to get a feel for it all. From lumens to posterization, contrast to combing, scaling to twitter and all in between -- I now own it! I think it's great. Nothing to focus the brain drain like working to solve the problem.

I knew I could have circumvented a lot of the present problems I have with my projection system merely by jumping in at a higher level - but it doesn't have the same learning impact for me. Most of everything I have read now really means something to me - I've seen it.

Yes, I don't know what I know. I do know I have lot's and lot's of questions. I have found that the AVS Forum is an incredible resource. But, just like I want my PJ picture to be clearer, I have to learn to make my posts and questions clearer!

Once you purchase "right to gripe" you learn fast. You don't know all you know - you don't know it all - don't bet the farm if you don't know what you're doing.

Take your time, learn your limits ($, equipment,..) and have a blast doing it.

edit - Behr ultra white satin paint - 5$ worth of screen gain- gotta start somewhere!

------------------

plug in to play

[This message has been edited by jamin (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Joe, see my post on the Sanyo/Quadscan thread.

I agree with your "most valuable" about brightness and color. I've seen the best of the DLPs and I would not have a single, dim, one of them. What you gain in black level and contrast you lose in a picture that just doesn't look movie-like. My Boxlight/Grayhawk combo has plenty of contrast and black level to go along with it's stunning brightness and color.

But what I've really come to appreciate is how chaotic the HT business is right now. No one pays any attention to how his box works with the other guy's box. No one writes decent manuals. The stuff is quirky as hell. So I am really beginning to understand why these system installer guys have to charge so much money. It's an absolute ***** to put one of these systems together.

Whatever you budgeted for it, add 50% by the time you get the cables you need, the video processor because the internals in your $6K projector suck, the DVD player because the one you bought 3 years ago can't cut it on 110".

And so on.

And then you watch a really cool movie and it was all worth it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Well, almost worth it! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
How about..."Out of the box is not necessarily your optimal picture".

I think that this probably applies to just about display device. It's really too bad that you can't get a device that is pre-tweaked to perfection, but even units that are supposed to be "plug-and-play" develop a community of tweaks to make them even better (witness the Sony 10HT community, for starters).

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would say HTPC. I have been on this forum for well over a year and avoided HTPC at all costs even though it has been highly recommended. I wanted to avoid all the computer glitches and headaches I deal with on my standard computer and just watch a movie with ease. I have tried both the quadscan and the Crystal Image and they really don't come close (IMO) to the picture quality of HTPC. Then to boot, a turnkey HTPC WAS MUCH CHEAPER!!

So far, no problems, no glitches, no headaches. It took a few days to get used to the operation of the system but it now very easy.

Again, highly recommended.

Jeff

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've found out that following my heart and trusted my own feelings about what home theater hardware to buy has given me much.

I mean, instead of just listen to commercials, salesmen and not decide for yourself ...

Thanks for a great forum and all the great members.

------------------

M. Risberg (Stockholm, Sweden)

AV consultant @ Intelligent Sound

·
Registered
683 Posts
Joe - great topic!

The most important thing I have learned this past year on the Forum - there is NO PERFECT PROJECTOR. So if you are waiting for the perfect projector, keep watching your "TV", cause it will be a LONG wait.

I finally jumped in and bought a Plus UP-1100. I love it. It is FAR from perfect, but will serve me well for the next couple of years while projectors get better and the prices come down. Reed.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Mark:

We're not talking about optimal picture here, we're talking about ANY picture. None of these idiots who make this stuff bother to try it out with any of the other idiots stuff. And your average 8th grader could write more coherent manuals.

For example, this Quadscan manual manages to give me a load of crap about how the "hue" setting correspondes to a bunch of arcane standards while not bothering to tell me what "hue" is and what the hell it does.

Dan

[This message has been edited by DanHouck (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Most valuable insight I ever gained (from this board obviously) when first trying to learn about htpc's and digital projectors was what could be gained by matching a digital projector's native resolution with a htpc.

To this day it still blows my mind to walk in a home theater store and see a $10000 digital projector mated with a simple 480i signal from a dvd player.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mine was learned the first day...

"You mean I don't have to spend 20k on a runco to own a front projection system?"

If I would have purchased one of these 20k systems before I found AVS, I'd be a very bitter home theater watcher today.

--Les

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb80301:
Contrary to popular belief, you DON'T get what you pay for.
Heh...it should be: "at MOST you get what you pay for"

Perhaps the most important insight is that my father was correct (how horrible!) in that Ben Franklin's parable/story about "Too Dear for the Whistle" had any bearing on modern american lifestyle (don't ask what I paid for my first car, my first computer, my first stereo, my first wife...).

Which has very annoying implications that some of the other stuff he told me might also have some value. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Nigel

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hi,

I think I can just chime in on the HTPC thing. I was (and still am) a Macintosh user for regular computing stuff (and SUN/UNIX if it has to be horse power) but what you really can do for your home theater experience by using a customized and tweaked HTPC is truely amazing, amazes me still two years after Mark Rejhon helped me build my first one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers

Christoph

------------------
http://www.Kino-PC.de

·
Registered
68 Posts
With technology evolving so rapidly, there is NO good time to buy. Before plunging into HT (and further into debt!), I told myself before you buy anything, ask yourself, " Will I still be happy watching this picture quality in 5-10 years time". If the answer is yes, then to hell with new technology, just buy it and enjoy the SHOW!

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My most valuable insight is...

Only you can decide what projector is right for you. Be it Digital or CRT, DLP or LCD (or even dila), the circumstances are so varying from person to person that one must really "experience" each technology and decide for themselves. As each individual opinion/perception may help you form pieces of the whole, there is no substitute for actually seeing it upclose and personal.

------------------

David R. Smith

System info: NEC 9PG in progress, Dalite 60X80 Matte (I know), ATI Radeon 64mb VIVO, ATI 7.1 player w/DC's O IRE patch , WinME.

[This message has been edited by DRS (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have recently learned that CRT FPs, except for new 9" units, can easily be had for less than Digital projectors. On the used market it is quite easy to get an excellent quality projector for less than the vaunted $1,700 LT150. Furthermore, B-stock and refurbished 8" and 9" CRT FPs, with 1 or 2 year warantees, can consistently be obtained for significantly less than DILA projectors. The best looking projector is also the least expensive. Now THAT was an insight.

Another amazing discovery I made was that you can retube a 7" or 8" CRT, all three tubes, for as little as $800-$900, These new tubes cost less than a 1,000 hour DILA bulb and will be good for 10,000 hours or more.

[This message has been edited by Jim Tittle (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
One insight is to trust your own eyes when setting up your projector. I have set my equipment with Video Essentials and Avia on several occassions and was left with a cold, bland, and lifeless picture that was no fun to watch.

Lenny

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kind of a truism, but 'there are no dumb questions'.

When you go to actually see it for yourself (HT shops and trade shows) which is a must becuase beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ask anything you want..... ask everything you want. A few years ago when I bought my Sharp XV-Z5000 (now 4000+ hrs) I must have bugged the showroom guy for hours. In the end, i got what i wanted..... it did not cost as much as the much vaunted mitsubishi of the day, but it felt right for me (warmth of colour, price, shift and zoom etc).

Now i am looking at the new Sharp Z9000 and others I have started bugging them again - and have also startd to ask dumb questions here too..... this time I think I will have a better chance with all the great insight here.

The truth will set you free...... so find it out.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is what I learned:

1.Buy a projector NOW and enjoy it, because there will always be a better one around the next corner.

2.Buy your equipment before geting married :) this will save you a lot of time and explaining.

3. perfection is a curse!

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Look for flaws and you'll find them. If you're happy with your picture don't try looking for compression artifacts, banding, dithering, gray blacks, rainbows etc. It's hard not to though.

------------------

/frode

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.