AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a "coupling" that you can remove from the rear. The default is integrated amplifier, but once you remove that coupling, the receiver becomes a pre-amp. only, and you can then connect that receiver to a pair of power speaker.

And what a good brand name for the above? it's used to listen to CD only in a 75 sq. ft. room, as long as it has a co-axial or fiber optic input port, that's all I care.

The propose speaker would be M-audio M3-8

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
If you mean some AV amplifiers with the links, I know what you're talking about it has a metal bar that goes from pre outs, to power amplifier in. I do remember older AV amplifiers having this. As does my old Arcam Alpha power amplifiers- but that just duplicates the channel to the other one (dual mono signal, ie if you use a single 2ch amplifier to biamplify one speaker)

·
Registered
28,726 Posts
I think you mean the Main In and Pre Out loop that you see on a lot of older stereo receivers.

The HK 3490 has that plus one digital and one optical input. If you can find one in your price range you'd be fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you mean some AV amplifiers with the links, I know what you're talking about it has a metal bar that goes from pre outs, to power amplifier in. I do remember older AV amplifiers having this. As does my old Arcam Alpha power amplifiers- but that just duplicates the channel to the other one (dual mono signal, ie if you use a single 2ch amplifier to biamplify one speaker)
They're called jumpers. The HK3490 has them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
that's it. The metal bar. But I want it with AES/EBU.

Alternatively, I can buy a pre-amp only, then connect it to the power speaker. That would save quite a bit of money.

I am just not sure if I should get the one w/ pre-amp / power amp. with the metal bar, plan ahead, or just get a pre-amp only.

Anyhoo, so far, there isn't one w/ AES/ EBU on it. ANd I have dig thru all the major brands

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
that's it. The metal bar. But I want it with AES/EBU.

Alternatively, I can buy a pre-amp only, then connect it to the power speaker. That would save quite a bit of money.

I am just not sure if I should get the one w/ pre-amp / power amp. with the metal bar, plan ahead, or just get a pre-amp only.

Anyhoo, so far, there isn't one w/ AES/ EBU on it. ANd I have dig thru all the major brands
When you say "AES/EBU", do you mean the digital I/O or just balanced analog XLR output?

Either way, I think you are going to have to look at a preamp rather than an integrated amplifier. If all you need is balanced XLR outputs then you may find it cheaper to go with a surround sound preamp/processor like the Marantz's AV8801 (~$2k) rather than a stereo preamp from an esoteric brand. If you actually need AES/EBU digital I/O then you may be interested in the new Technics SU-R1 Reference class Player... http://www.technics.com/us/products/r1/su-r1.html#specs

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The technics above is exactly what I want, except the price is EU$7K. Emotiva has their XMC-1 for $2K, and Rotel RC-1570 is $1K. Of course, EMotiva is made in USA, and the Technics is made in Japan. I think Rotel is made in China.

I want a digital AES3 output from a CD player to 1 of the above, to the digital AES3 input, and from the above pre-amp, to a pair of power speaker, via XLR output R / L

Marantz does not have XLR digital in, so it's useless to me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts