1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
On the THX site look farther down on the page at the Dolby TrueHD and the DTS HD MA 7.1 setup guide the rear speakers should be apart making approx a 60 degree angle to the listening position.

As far as the sub just put it where you can or do the subwoofer crawl and put it where it sounds best.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In an anechoic chamber, I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to objectively say that either one was better than the other. It's my understanding that it's more difficult to discern the direction of sound coming from directly behind you, so the Dolby surround backs at angles make sense to me.

Optimal (for sound) subwoofer placement is almost entirely dependent on the room so neither placement is necessarily correct, or incorrect.

Main channel tow in between 30 and 45 degrees for most speakers is probably fine, but this is dependent on the directivity of the design chosen. I think the most extreme example is the GedLee speakers, though I'm not sure what the tow in on those is supposed to be. Danley suggests tow in where the direct line of radiation crosses just in front of the listening position, which can also be more extreme than those 30-45 degree angles suggested.

I think both Dolby and THX are aiming for a suggestion that's better than most people would achieve on their own solution.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I guess something to play with. Ive been doing the subwoofer crawl and when I think I find the right spot when I go back to the seating position it doesnt sound right. My problem is that right next to the seating position on one side it opens up into the rest of the basement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.