AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking around at stand options, I'm think I'm going to consider having my cabinet maker build a custom stand. Until I see something different from the pre-made units, I'm going to look to have something built to spec to fit the tv exactly.

To me, I think it would be easier for my eyes to look slightly up compared to looking down. Plus looking down, even though I should be watching the tv, my "outside" focus will be of the floor etc. vs my room.

So question, what is the optimum height that a 50" Sony A10 should sit on? I see stands with height from everything from 15" to 25" out there. Some stands like from Ikea are nice, but they all seem way too low. The chairs/sofa I'll sit on measure about 18"H, and the Sony tube tv I currently have is 20" on the stand. I'll be sitting 9-11 feet back from the set.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I agree it's better to look up a little than down at all.

IMO a little higher than when your eye level is at the center of the screen. If you sit down and measure a level line from your eye to the wall, mark that as the center of the TV. A little higher than that line is what I feel is a good position.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantadan
After looking around at stand options, I'm think I'm going to consider having my cabinet maker build a custom stand. Until I see something different from the pre-made units, I'm going to look to have something built to spec to fit the tv exactly.

To me, I think it would be easier for my eyes to look slightly up compared to looking down. Plus looking down, even though I should be watching the tv, my "outside" focus will be of the floor etc. vs my room.

So question, what is the optimum height that a 50" Sony A10 should sit on? I see stands with height from everything from 15" to 25" out there. Some stands like from Ikea are nice, but they all seem way too low. The chairs/sofa I'll sit on measure about 18"H, and the Sony tube tv I currently have is 20" on the stand. I'll be sitting 9-11 feet back from the set.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It is generally ergonomicaly bad to constantly be looking up as it is very hard on your neck. For computer monitors, they generally recomment that the TOP of the screen be at eye level when in a seated position so you are looking out level or down.

If you will have reclining seats everywhere then maybe you can get away with the TV mounted higher. Note in a movie theater that seats that are up front need to recline.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys thanks for your responses.

From what I read, I really think that the mid-point of screen, should be at eye level, plus up to +10% is where it should be.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
atlantadan,

The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers' (SMPTE) recommended viewing angles for commercial cinema allow for a maximum of 15 degrees upward to the center of the screen and no greater than 35 degrees to the top of the screen. Their human factors research found that the most comfortable viewing angle for extended viewing is a downward angle of 12 degrees. Some critical motion picture screening rooms actually tilt the seats back at a 12 degree angle. Many monitor environments in various industries that require 8 hour work shifts mount the monitor slightly below the desk surface to achieve a 12 degree downward angle to reduce viewer fatigue.

With rear projection displays there is a very limited vertical viewing angle before brightness starts to diminish. This is due to the fresnel/lenticular composition of the screen material. Light is focused more horizontally than vertically so that multiple seats spread out horizontally in a typical living room can maintain acceptable brightness levels in a well lit viewing environment. The manufacturer sacrifices vertical viewing angles to accomplish this. Many owner's manuals will state what the horizontal and vertical viewing angle is for the TV.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
G. Alan,

Thank you for a masterful explaination of the vertical viewing angle. Exactly what I wanted to find out. With the purchase of the new Sony 50"A10, I wanted to understand just how high of a stand I should put it on.

There are a few pre-made stands out there on the market that fit the decor of my house. But I'm also considering have a custom cabinet built to exactly what I want. If so, I wanted to make sure it would be built to the best viewing specs.

I appreciate the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.