AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Pioneer 101FD plasma, however due to the lighting conditions in my home the TV becomes unwatchable due to glare during the day... of course this is just my opinion but I do want to be able to watch the TV rather than my kids running around, wife cooking, lights turning on and off

Before I purchased the Pioneer my main TV was a Samsung LN630A that was a few years old and I'm now convinced that at least for my house I need a LED/LCD for my main family room...preferably with a matte screen.

Here's my question, is there a benchmark LED/LCD, similar to how the Pioneer is for plasmas...and all other TV's. I've read that some of the first full array local dimming LCDs like the Samsung UNB8500, Sony XBR8, LG 55LHX, and even the current Vizio XVT3 are very impressive. The problem is the LCD market is so much larger than that of plasmas there are just so many models and variants that it's hard to pinpoint a market leader.

I also find that it's difficult to read online reviews as most of the LCD's are compared directly to plasmas and their inherent flaws such as blooming and off angle viewing seem to get blown out of proportion. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Should be LG. I felt like a bandit already when I purchased my 32LE5400 for $600 at best buy. The black level is so amazing and I was blown up already after watching Ninja Assassin movie. I'l re-watch the movie again to enjoy the beauty of black level...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
It's gonna be very hard to find a matte screen LED LCD. Especially in the Backlit LED area. As for a display in the LED LCD area that compares to the KURO. Unfortunately right not there is none. The KURO is still the reference display for PQ.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/19633203

It's gonna be very hard to find a matte screen LED LCD. Especially in the Backlit LED area. As for a display in the LED LCD area that compares to the KURO. Unfortunately right not there is none. The KURO is still the reference display for PQ.

I would belay that assessment. The upcoming LG LEX8,LEX9 are looking like they could be just what this guy is seeking. FAR fewer weaknesses than any other LCDs and appear to be in a class of LCD all by themselves. As far as black level, LCDs with local dimming have been knocking on the door of plasmas for a few years now. Coming awfully close. With this new LCD, it might just have the design and local dimming perfected. I want to wait for the tests but it looks VERY promising that these are the plasma killers. The best LCD tech offering that nobody really saw coming.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1273167

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91
I would belay that assessment. The upcoming LG LEX8,LEX9 are looking like they could be just what this guy is seeking. FAR fewer weaknesses than any other LCDs and appear to be in a class of LCD all by themselves. As far as black level, LCDs with local dimming have been knocking on the door of plasmas for a few years now. Coming awfully close. With this new LCD, it might just have the design and local dimming perfected. I want to wait for the tests but it looks VERY promising that these are the plasma killers. The best LCD tech offering that nobody really saw coming.

Wow, I just read all the info on the LEXs and I'm very excited...CES can't get here soon enough.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91

That's overkill, lol. No wonder why LG is the best maker for LED.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'd have to agree with certain LG back lit local dimming LED models, though I have a preference for glossy screens over matte simply because there's no light source behind my set to cause reflections.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If the OP is having issues with glare it's not a good idea to recommend a gloss screen LG. Although the picture quality of the this years LG's are some of the best out there they are also easily the worst in handling any type of sunlight. LG put very little effort into the AR filter.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/19635178

If the OP is having issues with glare it's not a good idea to recommend a gloss screen LG. Although the picture quality of the this years LG's are some of the best out there they are also easily the worst in handling any type of sunlight. LG put very little effort into the AR filter.

I should have taken a picture of it, but the LE8500 had pretty blant PQ with it's extremely reflective screen and the air gap between the panel and pane.

If they had the "OptiContrast" that Sony uses, it could do some wonders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.