AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping up with the DLP & LCD technology for the past couple of years only because they are small and light. I have read on countless threads though that the CRT projectors still deliver the ultimate PQ. So I would like to know from the CRT owners, what is the planets best CRT for Ht and at what price?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Sir

We like the Marquee platform for ease of setup and use, stunning image quality, modular construction for fast service, and the Marquee is in current production at Video Display Corp. in Florida. A used Marquee can be had with rebuilt or new CRTs from around $6K for 8", and $12K and up for 9" liquid-coupled. The Marquee systems were rebadged by Vidikron and Madrigal and resold for as much as $60,000, you need not pay that much. A 9" Marquee is well-suited for up to a 96" wide screen, and looks good from a scaler outputting 1080p, or an HTPC, or an HDTV tuner. See Note at top and visit our new website.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have heard of a 12in crt projector, but never seen or heard of a model number and specifications. It would seem that a 12in would have spectacular resolution and long tube life. The Marquee line is exceptional, I own a problematic 9000 and have enjoyed the picture very much. Although the marquee 9500lc is exceptional, the sony g90u is supposedly better, although not in production and carrying a large price tag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Michael

When I first got into HT I think I saw on Barco HP a 12in projector. It was a black box with a monster cable to the display box housing the 12in CRT

:)

_Lars

ps. just a quick question, LC liquid coupled can some one explain that to me ??

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
So is that it then? the worlds best CRT the Barco 912? wonder what the price tag is on that beast and would you need an auditorium to run it? The web-site sure dosen't tell you much, like dimensions and weight, you'd think those things are kinda important?

·
Registered
20 Posts
hehe well the pdf doc tell of the light 912 :eek: only a mere 330lbs :) guess you better have allot of excuses when your mate calls to ask you to help him mount it in the celling

Lars

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I recall hearing the price on one of those 912's and remember thinking about paying more for a projector than I paid for my house and to retube would cost more than my new car. I think that the best deal is the E-Home Marquee 9500LC although I'm partial to NEC, even though their pissing me off at the current time. If my four month old tube order doesn't show up soon I'll be in the market for a Marquee.

Chip S.

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
The 912 has it's issues. For one the light output is not way more than the G90 and it's ability to focus edge to edge isn't as good. Please notice I didn't say which PJ is the best since I'm convinced that no such animal exists. It's almost like saying who is the best football player..... you wouldn't put the quarterback on the line or expect that tackle to throw a perfect spiral on the money either.

Art

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think that almost everyone would agree that a 9" CRT is likely to produce the best possible image (the 12" from Barco seems to be a special purpose machine). There are several top rated 9" CRT projectors and I think it boils down to which aspects are most important to you. Certainly the Sony G90 would rate in the top 3 and many would claim it is the top. Again - it depends on which features are most important to you.

The fact that William Phelps (one of the worlds best install/setup guys in the business) owns one goes a long way in my book.

Good luck.

Ed

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i would say it`s between the 9500lc

the barco 909

and the sony g90

XANATOS

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx for the quick replys people a refurbished 9' crt might be just what the doctor ordered. I'm always in search for the top PQ i can find.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
While the 9" are definitely in the top class, the 8" NEC XG LCseries are supposed to be the best 8" units. Too bad they didn't make a 9" NEC XG LC, as their colors are the best.

I am going to be running a double stack of NEC XG projectors within a month. The two projectors together were less than any of the 9" CRTs, but the set-up will not be easy.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well, I'm compelled to vote:

#1 Sony G90

#2 E-Home 9500LC if done by e-Tech.

Ted

·
Registered
333 Posts
i would dispute the NEC's being the best 8" machines. Proprerly color filtered BG808s is a big dog.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
jisaac, put up the Microsoft screen saver with the starfield. You will see why the 808s is not as top of the line as the LC XGs.

·
Registered
333 Posts
ive never thought of looking at that , though i will tonight. I dont loose sleep over screen savers though, i care about the dvd picture.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
The Barco 812 or now the 912 was about 100K list.

The picture is stunning, it can truly resolve anything you throw at it. I have seen a 1600 x 1200 flight simulator running on one on a 10' wide screen in a semi light controlled environment and it was very nice indeed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.