Premium Member
1,696 Posts
12,500 MSRP

12k Street

Dan

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you don't mind buying sideways, click the banner ad at the top of this page. It's the one that starts with "Price", has a middle name of "Japan" and ends with a ".com". There, you will be able to check today's pricing on the Marantz. I apologize for the hieroglyphics, but the rules clearly say that you can't say the name of another company on the forum. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am thinking of getting the marantz and the only thing holding me back is all the talk about a HD2 chip that everyone says is coming very soon. What will that new chip do compared to current ones out right now, what improvements can we expect?

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
You can do materially better than 12k street. Not nearly as good as gray market, but better than 12. And yes, from an authorized dealer.

TM

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Flanders,

It is really difficult to tell what differences the HD2 chip will make. However, it is a 'pure' 16:9 chip. All HD1 chips are SXGA 4:3 masked down to 1280x720. Also the 12% mirror tilt will theoretically allow manufacturers to create a more efficient method for partially neutralising light spill in dark scenes improving contrast. But, HD2 projectors will be unlikely to reach the CRT benchmark of near black or true black. That will come later, probably much later. Sam Runco was quoted as saying the shift to HD2 will be less dramatic than the shift from 4:3 to 16:9. Until these things hit the market, it will mostly be crystal ball gazing. It is the agony of buying pjs at the moment. As soon as you commit, there is something better just round the corner. Good luck with your buying decisions,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Flanders,

If you are big time black level fanatic than not even the HD2 will satisfy you.

But the HD-2 should be at about 1500:1+ contrast and be brighter than the current HD-1 projectors which should make just about any movie look great.

The interesting thing will be pricing and availability. Some think the HD-2 front projectors will be out in the fall; I think they will arrive next CES (Jan 2003). Some people think they will priced slightly less than the HD1's; I think they will be half the price of the HD-1's

If you got the cash, start enjoying now the DLP experience with an HD-1

Personally, I'm holding out with a back-up plan of buying an HD-2 RPTV this Christmas for my living room if the FP market looks gloom.

-Mr. Wigggles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.