AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that plasmas will get burn in which will make the display terrible. I have heard they will not. What is the real deal on this issue?

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
The real scoop is go to an airport that is using plasmas...they have burn in, they also are on ~16 hours a day showing the same static image. Burn in is not an issue, IMHO, as many, many people have reported before. Just be wise and the plasma will last and last (~30,000 viewing hours or at 7 hours per day, for roughly 11.75 years).

I have played Xbox Halo on my panny for well over five months now and at times for a period of time that I probably shouldn't (~5 straight) with no sign of burn-in. Ghosting, yes...but not burn in.

FYI, I believe that any phosphor based display will exhibit burn-in if left on for hours and hours and hours displaying the same static type image.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Exactly what mcgir says. There have been hundreds of posts on this subject in this Forum, and AFAIK no one has reported a burn-in problem with a recently manufactured plasma in normal residential use. One thing that alarms people are the numerous warnings in the mfrs' manuals about the dangers of burn-in; IMHO this is just so the manufacturers can avoid liability when burn-in does occur on commercial displays which display bright, static images for hundreds or thousands of hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.