AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally upgrading my old Geforce 5200 and am wondering what would be the best video card for me. I originally planned on getting a 6600GT, but I think that it'll be too hot for my case (I couldn't use my old 9700 because of heat issues). So right now I am looking at a plain 6600.

I am using my HTPC to play back downloaded TV shows (a couple of which are HDTV rips) and upscale DVDs using Zoom Player w/ ffdshow. I'd like to be able to bump up some settings when I upscale my DVDs. Right now I am using VMR7 and upscaling to 540p. Trying a higher resolution or using VMR9 results in choppy playback. Watching HD media is something I'd like to do eventually. I don't plan on gaming on my HTPC, so performance isn't a huge concern. I have my HTPC hooked up to my 1080i CRT via DVI. My current processor is an AMD 2400+.

Would a 6600 be sufficient for me? Or could I save money by going with a 6200? I plan on getting one that has passive cooling. I wanted to go with NVIDIA because I loved their overscan compensation tools, but if ATI has something like this in their drivers I wouldn't mind going that way either.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Nvidia 6xxx cards have 1080i DVI issues like tearing and stuttering. You will be limited to DVD software that support full screen renderless.

If you already have a 9700Pro w/ is a good HTPC card, just get a $20.00 Arctic cooler/silencer and it's super quiet. Heat issues? As far as upscaling DVD, you may need a faster proccesor but that 2400+ may work for now.

Use powerstrip fo the correct timmings for your PJ. ATi has adjustments too but I'm more familiar w/ powerstrip ver 3.60....mike.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.