AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Sony 1272q that most of you know is 150lbs and takes up the space of a coffee table. I was wondering, what other CRT projectors are available, and what will I give up? I usually have about an 85" image projected from maybe 10feet. I would like a small CRT that I could hang without it being so obstructing. I remember seeing a sony in an airplane that I flew in, but I couldn't see a model number. The Lens looked about 3 inches (Convergence was awful, but that's besides the point). Any ideas?

I tried to move to a DLP, but I didn't like it as much as the CRT.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like that one might be too costly. Anything in the "budget" range? I'm still wondering what that Sony was that was in the plane.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Must've been a 1031Q - they are the only ones that can take a line doubled image.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've got an Ampro 2000D that weighs 100 pounds, scans to 56kHz, and was cheap. I'm going to cieling mount it in our house we are currently having built.

It is about 23 inches wide and about 34 inches long, 12 inches high. It may be somewhat smaller and lighter than the Sony you've got, but it doesn't scan to as high a frequency.

Matt

·
Registered
251 Posts
The smallest one I've seen was the dinky 5.5" units they have in planes. Sony I think. If you get one of these, watch out 'coz all plane equipment is set up for 400Hz power supply, so you'll need a custom power supply or inverter to run the thing.

They're not real bright, either, and are typically set up for a screen no more than, um, about 40" wide if my memory serves. (And I'm a gold frequent flyer, so it should... :) )

- David Eddy

·
Registered
240 Posts
OK...

My 1030Q1 scans only to 32kHz, and it projects a 65" wide image right now. It is meant to display a 100" diag, 80" wide image, but i don't have the space.

These PJ's are the most common ones out there, and they're basically plug and play (after you've done the focus, convergence, positioning, light control etc ;)), and project a fairly good image.

Not very bright though...

You wanna trade yours for mine? :D It is only 21x25x9 or so.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
At the performance level you're used to with the Sony, the most compact PJ is the E-home ECP series, but it's a little tall. The smallest overall after that would be the Dwin, then the Selecos (which are not tall). The lowest profile (shortest) are the Ampros, followed by various Barcos, but they're awfully long (especially the Ampros). NEC's are relatively compact, fitting pretty much in the middle of everything. Smallest NEC that's similar in performance to your Sony is the older 3000 series, followed by the newer XG series.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all those who have answered my post. The information has been very helpful.

The reason why I might be looking for a smaller one is because I am having problems with my 1272q. It was supposed to have only 1300 hours on it and be a nice projector, but it turns out there is lots of covers that are missing or are from the wrong projector, and the image has been way too green. The previous owner played with the tube volumes which I tried to get back to the original setting. I found out that if you don't have these set right, you could get screen artifacts. So I think I have those finally set right, but the image is way green. For some reason it won't let me adjust the hue, and adjusting the color just dims/brightens everything. Comparing it to a previous projector, I think there something wrong with the red. Anyone out there thinking a better red would make green whites look white again? Yes, I can turn down the green, but I think I have it at it's correct setting now. Plus that makes my whole image REALLY dim.

So I don't think anyone would want to trade me until I pinpoint this problem. I have swapped out the board on the back of the tube, and the board that hooks up to both the red and blue tube. I have also swapped every other plug and play board that I could find. I'm going to try a new tube next.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have my ECP-4500 up for sale, it still has less than 50 hours on it.

Since this is a new projector, I turn it off after watching a movie. With my ECP3101, I'd just let it be on and have some TV show playing in the background since the 3101 had tons of hours on it already.

I am entertaining any reasonable offer on the unit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the G2 pots (?) on this unit jbserra? I accidentally adjusted mine when i didn't know what they were, and ended up with a to-blue image. After turning down the blue, it was perfectly fine.

If it has digital adjustments, look for screen controls or something - hue/tint etc won't do anything.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
This is a no brainer! The 1031Q is lightweight, compact, quiet, easy to setup (for an analog), and you can get one for around $500 with nice tubes if you look. I had mine setup for 87" diag. (4:3) with an HTPC @ 720x480p @ 60Hz and the image was stunning. Now I'm doing 118" diag. and while you can see some lines if you get up to the screen and look for them, the image is still stunning. You go small you are definately talking a pj with 5.5" tubes which equates to less brightness, but they'd definately drive a low-gain screen under 100" very nicely. First though, as Mark said, play with your 1272Q and see if you can get rid of the green by adjusting the gain, etc.. The 1272Q is a very nice projector!

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
THe Sony 2020 is the smallest, but it's video only and very old.

The 1031 is a good bet if the tubes are in good shape.

The ECP series has a small footprint but is quite tall. Still, if you have height to play with and are looking for less width and depth...

The Ampro 2000 series snugs right up to the ceiling, but has length and height.

IMHO the bext bang for the buck while maintaining a reasonably small case is the NEC PG series.

Curt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I played with those pots which I know the previous owner did, also. When I get it adjusted so the whites look about the white I expect, the image is really dark. The red is maxed out, tho, and the green and blue have room to move up. So then I move the blue and green up to about the brightness I expect, but the red doesn't follow.

Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.