AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the SMALLEST LCD screen that you know of that can do 640x480 (or there abouts) resolution. Even if it's 2 inches, I'd like to know (in fact, 2 inches would be perfect, but they probably don't make them that small).

Thanks.

And please link to the screen if you can.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me guess monitor out on your receiver. I got the latest Sound and Vision magizine which has the new Rotel preamp with an lcd display. That is truly an incredible idea. I would like to have maybe a 6" to 8" so I can read/see it from across the room.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The new Bel Canto processor/amp and the new Immersive Hydra also have nifty built-in screens. This is a great trend.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Most of the really small displays (like this 1.8" LCD ) seem to be less than 640x480. I'm sure there's a physical limit to how small the pixels can be.

Marshall has a number of cool displays. Look under 'LCD Monitors' and 'LCD Panels.'

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
Most of the really small displays (like this 1.8" LCD ) seem to be less than 640x480. I'm sure there's a physical limit to how small the pixels can be.
I'm pretty sure the LCD in an LCD-based RPTV like the Panasonic 50LC13 is tiny (around 1" on a side) but I can't find a reference.

I'm not claiming that that LCD would be of use to the OP.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Yes, there are sub 1" LCDs that are >XGA in resolution. However, they are typically transmissive microdisplays not emissive, direct viewables.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Yes, there are sub 1" LCDs that are >XGA in resolution. However, they are typically transmissive microdisplays not emissive, direct viewables.
Transmissive or Transflective? The latter needs ambient light rather than (rarely in (or in addition to) backlight to work.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sorry, I mis-used emissive above. No LCD is emissive.

The 1" LCDs are transmissive, not transflective. They are used in projectors.

I thought the key with the transflectives -- used in those nifty new PDAs -- was that they worked with the backlight but could also be seen without it. :)

Mark

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I mis-used emissive above. No LCD is emissive.

The 1" LCDs are transmissive, not transflective. They are used in projectors.

I thought the key with the transflectives -- used in those nifty new PDAs -- was that they worked with the backlight but could also be seen without it. :)

Mark
yep...Transflectives are the best utility and the worst performance of both technologies (true Reflective and Transmissive)! but they are the only game in town. Nothing else (LCDs) works in extreme light conditions (total darkness and direct sunlight). Consequently, they make horribly inefficient use of backlights, at least until the new type of super twist technology + true/efficient white LED BLs become prevalent. I also understand that no one really got an efficient 24bit color out off them (not that that was ever a requirement for that market). Having said that, Kyocera and some Taiwanese firms (..rumor not sure who) seem to be very interested in the market for some reason.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
That's the space I want a slightly flexible -- to be damage resistant, roll-up not needed -- OLED for. No backlights, thinner, actually emissive. My understanding is that it's still probably 2005 before that happens and we see an OLED PDA.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
That's the space I want a slightly flexible -- to be damage resistant, roll-up not needed -- OLED for. No backlights, thinner, actually emissive. My understanding is that it's still probably 2005 before that happens and we see an OLED PDA.
Agreed on time line. I think it will be something that shouldn't last as a commodity for more than 2-3 years or so- aka time to decay of blue oled ;>. my money is on the next next ipod (2H 2004). Aside from the Kodak 2" phone displays, I can't think of anything that will be remotely plausible in that time frame. I'm thinking something like an Ipod b/c it has to be small (3"-4" tops), can stand to have a bunch of dead pixles and not have touch.

I'm not sure why you think it is more rugged than an LCD? I think it actually can be less rugged- since it's thinner the TFT is also more exposed to damage. Based on this notion, I don't think it will be flexible (day 1) but rather stiff. They will probably put some protective Plexiglas on top of the printed substrate and resistive touch on top of that: making it pretty much the thickness of a transflective screen. Still, it will be real bright and seemingly colorful (not good NTSC color, just very bright colors and really good black levels).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Alex, I want the flexibility for damage resistance. PDA screens are way too fragile!

I suspect you are right that the early OLEDs won't offer this. Over time, though, I'm hoping the hype is real and that production processes begin to approach the "print the stuff on the plastic" hype we've heard so much about.

We have to get rid of the glass for it to be damage resistant. I saw a Toshiba prototype last CES of a TFT that could be bent pretty badly before the glass shattered -- they used a thinner front. But when we can go to something that won't shatter and will give -- plexi would be an OK start, then we are making real progress.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.