AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
John - I would say too little too late - D.O.A. If this had been introduced a year ago it would have created a stir, but not now with the arrival of the Sharp. In Canada there's no difference in price, in fact I have seen a cheaper price for the Sharp!

I had a quick look at this (30 minutes) and it didn't particularly do anything for me. Perhaps with a different screen and fed with a HTPC.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I think a good price cut is needed to help save it. Not that it's a bad projector, just should have been released back with the later 4:3 DLP's. It still boggles my mind that they didn't forsee the new 16:9 RGBRGB units when they were developing it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
saw it 2 weeks ago with a Yam progressive player

verdict:

guilty on:

RAINBOWS

DITHERINGS

PANNINGS

SCALING ARTEFACTS

sentence: skip it

goog point: complete connectivity I wish the SHARP had ( not seen the SHARP yet )

remede: maybe an HTPC with proper DVI signal and refresh rate

still, RGB wheel is a problem.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I haven't seen it yet but many that have compare it to an LT150.

Wow, it sounds like there might actually be a consensus on this one.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I saw it. Not much better picture than my LT150. And rainbows seemed more noticeable. Very quiet operation. Still a good projector, but a poor value. My dream projector would be the new Sharp unit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have watched over 150 hours on the Yamaha and I am still very impressed with it.

Anyone who finds it comparable to the LT150 obviously hasn't seen it properly calibrated. A simple AB comparison would convince anyone of the significant difference in contrast, colour and overall image quality, nevermind userability and versatility.

I have demoed the Sanyo PLV 60, XP 30, XP 21N, NEC LT150, and Sharp 9000.

All but the Sharp 9000 didn't even come close. The Sharp out of the box is better calibrated than the Yamaha. After properly calibrating the Yamaha, however, the Yamaha excels. The problem I found with the Sharp and I understand this to be a function of the new six segment color wheel is light output. I found the Sharp dark and almost a strain to watch. The Sharp was also large in comparison and not as user friendly.

As far as rainbows go, I am sure they exist but I am not susceptible and still have not noticed them. I emphasize that I refuse to learn how to see them and of course haver never tried.

It was a very difficult decision to opt for the 4:3 Yamaha over the 16:9 Sharp. I definetely found the Yamaha with 16:9 material to outperform the Sharp. The contrast ratio is incredible, light output is good and blacks, for me, are satisfying.

I agree that the Yamaha requires a scaler or HTPC for poor source material. I am using an HTPC and thouroughly enjoy NTSC satellite, DVD and computer games. No screen door, very stable image and quiet.

I expect that the Yamaha is somewhat limited with HDTV material. Because there is so little to watch, it is not an issue for me. I wonder if the ISCO II would help.

I appreciate that we all have our subjective preferences but I am amazed at the poor reaction to the Yamaha. I wonder how much influence specs and other people's comments influence one's objective observations. I really wanted to like the Sharp more than the Yamaha but after careful comparison, I couldn't.

I strongly recommend that you acquire a demo unit of the Yamaha, spend some time with it and if possible perform some AB comparisons, especially with the Sharp before discounting it.

I haven't read one negative post from someone who actually owns the Yamaha or has spent considerable time with it.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
It would be a contender if they had used the new color wheel. I saw the rainbows, as I always do. Other than the rainbows I was impressed. Also, Screen door could be a problem on a larger screen.

William

·
Registered
441 Posts
Noah:

I saw the Sharp on an 86 inch wide greyhawk and on a 92 inch 1.3 gain screen. I saw the Yamaha on the same screens as well as a white matte screen at approximately 106 inches wide. All of these observations were made in a light controlled environment with both pots and sconces that could be dimmed.

The Sharp image was good but for me it somewhat strained my eyes to watch. The best way to describe it is that I wanted a little more brightness and was straining to focus.

The Yamaha on the other hand did not cause strain at all. In fact I have watched football with full room lighting with excellent results. Ambient light did not affect the image nearly as much as it did with the Sharp. If you are familiar with the LT150 I would say the Yamaha is significantly brighter, the Sharp is not.

The increase in brightness on the Yamaha does not result in a decrease in black level. The black level on both units is excellent for DLP. I saw details in dark scenes such as in Gladiator and Dinosaur that were not visible on other units. The gray scale, to me, seemed better on the Yamaha.

I noticed the above before I learned that apparently the six segment wheel is less efficient at passing light than its counterpart. Reading this confirmed my observations.

I would definetely not discount the Sharp without trying it. Perception of light output, I would expect, is dependant on each individual. What is too dark for me may not be for you. I would not recommend the Sharp, however, with a greyhawk at least for larger screen sizes. If ambient light is a concern I would opt for the Yamaha. The brightness issue for me and the excellent image of the Yamaha convinced me to buy it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with those who feel that the Yamaha with DVI is a safer buy right now. At this point in time it's tough for me to consider anything without DVI (and at least perhaps through software/firmware update) a HDCP solution.

If the Sharp had DVI it would be the perfect projector at this price point.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The same distributor which handles Sharp here also handles the Yamaha. I went tonight to see the unit. I must say that the brightness was good. I cannot say it was brighter than the Sharp as the screen was not the same as my grayhawk. Overall though it was decent.

Very very quiet.....looked ok style-wise...it did have as someone mentioned above...fewer rainbows than the Lt150 or other presentation dlp projectors to date....however they were still present but not in the really annoying category.It is significantly brighter than the Lt150. It is really difficult to compare the units as the environment was not as perfected as how the Sharp is set-up. I';m going to pick it up next week and do a side by side...but all in all it wasn't bad....Issue here is it was very HT friendly. I know I can get a similar picture for lots less...but frankly I am tired of having do somersaults to enhance the image...I just want to plug it into a nice dvd player and watch movies or sattelite...THe Sharp excells in the that category...THe real issue is coming in a few weeks when the Marantz 12s starts shipping Dec 3rd...I like that unit for the 3 year warranty and sealed optics. Its short throw is a blessing and a curse....

Regards,

john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.