AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bring up the green text help menu on a black background the black area lights up and has a green hue or glow (stars or white text on a black background light up the screen too where there is no light). Is this ANSI washout? Does this have anything to do with the halos I've heard about?

Note to Raster: Keep yourself if you're planning on playing moderator, because I am about to talk about screens below and I don't want to here "Wrong Forum. Ask in the screen forum." from you, I want help from CRTers who are aware of this problem more than the digital people who hang out in the screen forums more often (for obvious reason). :D

Is there a simple way to get rid of this by using another type of white screen (specific gain perhaps?)? I tried the silver side of my screen (Silver PVC) and compared it against the white side and found that the silver stayed completely black during text or bright objects on a black background. The black areas did not light up at all and had no color hue or glow whatsoever, unlike the white side. This was pretty awesome to me, because it looked so much better when the blacks did not light up and did not have a green glow or hue when the green help menu was brought up.

The silver side is also WAY brighter and more vivid than the white side, but unfortunately it hotspots with the CRT without some kind off matte layer on front. I had a frosted vinyl layer over it before, but the layer would drift off a little bit making parts a bit out of focus, so I got rid of it and had to use the white side. It just would not stay on flat no matter how much it was stretched on.

The silver side seemed to help ANSI contrast a lot.

Anyway, I was wondering if this problem occurs on all CRTs and/or on all white colored screens or not?

If all white screens have this little problem with CRT projectors I may have to jump back to silver somehow. Please reply with any information on this issue. If there's anything that would help without having to go back to silver please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
What kind of a PJ?? Ones with liquid coupling (LC) have reduced these "halos" from non LC CRT's and the ANSI CR is increased.

Terry

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
What is your room like? If you have white walls, do they light up green too? It is interesting that the silver didn't show it nearly as much, which is one reason I'm thinking your room might be contributing quite a bit. You could probably test this theory by cutting a hole in a black piece of fabric or cardboard for the green menu to shoot through and then putting this up relatively close to the projector so that the projector is blocked from lighting up any of the rest of the screen. Is the green menu right in the middle of the screen?

--Darin

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an off white or very pale grey wall. I'm using an ECP4500+ projector. I don't recall seeing the room light up green too. I'll have to check when I get my projector up and running again. My green G2 is at Curt's being repaired along with my convergence board.

I found it very interesting that the silver side didn't have this problem at all. Not even a little bit thanks to its dark color. The black background looked completely black without a hint of color hue, glow or ansi washout. It looked pitch black all over when I bring up the bright green help menu. It makes it look like the contrast is increased because of this too. Very awesome. It would be a great CRT screen if it wasn't for the hot spotting. It just needs some kind of translucent matte surface that doesn't drift away from the screen. that should take care of the hot spotting.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
Why don't you try it in a Torus configuration? That will take care of the hot spot.

Ericglo

The Torus is white right? My problem with hot spotting is only on the silver side, which happens to correct the problems on the white side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.