AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my H77 I only see two artifacts that downgrade the picture. Neither are deal killers like VB on LCD, but are still annoying at times.

I see the motion blur or panning artifact if I look for it, especially on high def material.

I also see a contouring or posterization (sic?) during panning, especially on skin tones. I see it on all sources. Its like false edges or contour steps appear just when in motion.

Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Andrew,

Isn't that part of the firmware fix everyone is talking about?

Just curious as the H78 sounds interesting...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I haven´t seen many DLP´s, but those that I have then I notice the motion artifact quite easily and it´s the artifact that bothers me the most by far.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark
Andrew,

Isn't that part of the firmware fix everyone is talking about?

Just curious as the H78 sounds interesting...
I am not 100 percent sure if the panning artifact is this temporal dithering or the motion blur that I see independently of the specific temporal dithering artifact.

Perhaps its both!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't see rainbows but I do see motion blur during full screen panning on my DLP. Its more noticeable during movies then sports that I watch in HD (most likely a testament to HD since there usually is more panning in sports).

We found that a little ambient light behind the screen and sitting a little farther back minimizes the distraction quite a bit (sitting 15' back from a 92" screen). Right now I only have one row of sitting in a 18' deep room. When they correct this issue in the next generation projector I might move closer and add in that second row.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
All DLP projectors have these artifacts to some extent, even 3-chip DLP.

The motion blurring is caused by the "sample-and-hold" characteristic. Plasma, LCD, and LCoS also have it. CRT does not; it has an "impulse" characteristic.

The contouring/dithering is caused by the pulse-width modulation (PWM). Plasma and digital-drive LCoS also have it. LCD, analog-drive LCoS, and CRT don't have it. These artifacts are noticeable when there is motion in the scene, when your eyes are moving, and/or when the light is projected at certain levels, especially levels near black.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Is SXRD analog or digital drive?

I´ve never seen a LCOS, but I thought they didn´t have any motion artifacts from the feedback on the forum. It kinda sounds that all display´s have motion artifacts then. I notice the halo´s/trails on CRT TV´s as much as I notice the motion dithering on DLP´s, different kind of artifact but both really annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.