AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really tried hard to look for "rainbows"...

I think I succeeded when I was watching gladiator...here's what I did..

a) close my eyes for a second...then rub them

b) shake my head vigorously left to right...

lo and behold I saw a "rainbow" for a FULL nanosecond http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

unless you tend to do this all the time when you watch a movie I don't think you should be bothered.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can see it every once in awhile on my friend's LT-150. You almost have to avert your vision whilst moving your head. You will catch what looks like sort of a color bar test pattern. It is a problem that is greatly overblown and would not deter me from using DLP. Unless you do alot of foreign films with subtitles (Ha!)

------------------

Through man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world...

- Saint Arnoldus

·
Registered
873 Posts
Don't do it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
In all seriousness, it really is true that you don't want to even inquire into what the rainbow effect is IF you already have an LT150 and don't see it. You're a lucky person.

If you don't have a projector and are considering an LT150 or any other DLP, then you should probably see a DLP projector in person to determine whether you're sensitive to it. You don't necessarily need to know what it is do that; if you dart your eyes around the screen and don't see anything that looks like a "rainbow" even in dark scenes with a bright light in one area (i.e., high contrast scenes), then you can be confident you won't be bothered by it. -- Herb

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Definitely go see a DLP.

I almost purchased a DLP projector thinking the rainbow effect was very overblown. Then, I decided to borrow a DLP from the office and try it at home as a preview of both projecting a large image and usinga DLP. Both my wife and I saw rainbows very frequently and found them very, very disturbing. On that basis, I've decided to go with an LCD projector. Now, I'm going to find one of those to borrow so I can get a feel for the screen door effect.

I think the only accepted truths about the rainbow effect are that (1) sensitivity to it varies greatly from person to person, (2) anyone can see it if they try hard enough, and (3) if you haven't seen it, you don't want to go looking for it.

/jab

------------------

a moderator at the TiVo Community Forum

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
To all those who suggest trying not to find the rainbow effect, I must respectfully disagree with this. In fact, you should try as hard as you can to find in on a potential purchase.

Unless you have lots of cash and upgrade often, I assume that any purchase made will be for at lease several years of use. Nothing is worse than owning something, and THEN discovering the fatal flaw. It may not be so bad for some, but if you are sensitive, it will become very disturbing..trust me...I see them on every DLP I have seen, and others have reported their existence on the newest DLPs with fast colour wheels.

So, I say try to find them. Better now than once it is on your ceiling.

------------------

David Mendicino

[This message has been edited by David Mendicino (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
950 Posts
It seems that, depending on the source material, you either see it or don't.

I've seen some DVD transfers that made me want to search for the pot of gold, there were so many rainbows, on others, I barely noticed them.

The best scenes I've noticed to view rainbow...

Look at a lit candle scene, or a small light bulb scene. Other than that, even if I see rainbows, they don't, for me, detract from the joy of watching a movie on an 80" wide screen. Y M M V !

Just enjoy this single chip technology for what it is. There are pj's out there costing MUCH more, that don't give you the enjoyment of this puppy!

When in time, it's time for an upgrade, you'll have sufficient knowledge to know what to avoid in a pj.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just purchased an older NEC LT100. I did a lot of reading here and decided it was better to know what the rainbow effect is and see if it bothers me, than to buy a projector and find out only later that I couldn't live with it. Fortunately, I am not bothered by it (although it's there every once in a while).

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Iguana Man,

Most DLP projectors - all but the most expensive - are

single chip projectors. Unlike LCDs, D-ILAs, and 3-chip

DLP projectors, which have 3 chips in them [ one for each

of the primary colors; red, green, blue ]; a single chip

DLP has only one chip that does triple duty.

A single chip projector has 1 DLP chip with a "color wheel",

a wheel with red, green, and blue colored segments.

Whereas 3-chip projectors project all 3 primary colors

simultaneously, a 1 chip DLP projects them sequentially.

That is - at any given moment - there is only one color

image on the screen with these projectors. They rely on

the "persistence of vision" effect of your eye to mix the

3 color images together.

If you move your head quickly, or alter your glance quickly,

the 3 different colored images will not align on the retina

of your eye properly. The colors won't mix properly and

you will see rainbows.

Have you ever seen a color picture in the newspaper, and

the printers didn't get the 3 colored images to align

properly? That's what "rainbow effect" is.

Greg

·
Registered
340 Posts
I see many owners of the NEC LT150 here and also see a continuous mention of "rainbow effect". Please explain to this newbie what that phenomenon means. Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
STOP LOOKING INTO THIS SUBJECT RIGHT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trust us its a pandoras box.

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. I can see how this could turn into a pretty hot subject and I hope I didn't rile anyone up by asking about it. I currently own a Sharp LCD and was curious about DLP in my quest to eliminate the screen door effects. I'll definitely do some serious demo-ing prior to purchase. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Iguana Man:

I'm one of those people who see rainbows in spades without any of the contortions described above. It is extremely annoying in an action film and caused me to go for LCD. I haven't regretted the decision one bit, though I would like to see the new generation RGBRGB set ups to see if the problem is still bad for me.

Don't rule out the new generation of Sanyo LCD with 700:1 contrast ratio, but make sure you see one with MLA since screen door is a big concern for you. We sit back 16' from a 86" wide screen and it simply isn't an issue for us. We don't defocus, either.

I don't know what your budget is but keep in mind the Sanyo XP21N is about to be discontinued and it has MLA and 2500 lumens. I only paid $5400 delivered for mine and I would expect the price to drop from there shortly. I added an inexpensive Quadscan Elite and second-hand Panasonic RV80 interlaced player to the package and are really pleased with the result. The screen is a Grayhawk, which I really recommend with any bright projector, but particuarly LCD. It really enhances black and contrast.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.