AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a lack of technical info around the internet about the spec - and I'm hoping someone here can enlighten me.

I believe - but am not 100% certain - that +VR mode refers to the disk formatting itself - not a separate video standard. Can anyone clarify this?

The other differences appear to be how video/audio is recorded as a sequential vob file(s) instead of one vob / title.

I know +VR is supposed to be reasonably compatible with dvd-video - which means that the disk format and video recording format (mpeg2/aac) would have to be exactly the same?

I know there is an extra folder made

If I have a +VR disc - and copy the VIDEO_TS folder to my computer and make a dvd out of that - would the disc be dvd-video compliant - or are there technical differences in the mpeg encoding as well with +vr?

Thanks,

--Rob

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
+VR mode is a proprietary recording mode that has nothing to do with VR mode. They sound alike but share nothing in common. VR records to VRO files. +VR does not.

+VR resembles more the DVD-Video mode. But the DVD-Video mode was designed for DVD replication. Not recording. Philips chose to develop its own approach. To build on the DVD-Video mode and add features on the recording side of the equation that the DVD-Mode could not (ever) offer. Things like on disc (optical) editing by hiding chapters for example. Something neither the VR Mode or the DVD-Video Mode could ever independently contemplate.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly +VR includes a VRM file in the root that handles the logistics.

These are three separate and distinct formats or modes. They are not subsets of each other. The licensing is owned by different entities.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/18274581

They are not subsets of each other.

+VR is a "subset" in terms of video/audio specs, not in licensing/non-tech terms.

Quote:
add features on the recording side of the equation that the DVD-Mode could not (ever) offer. Things like on disc (optical) editing by hiding chapters for example. Something neither the VR Mode or the DVD-Video Mode could ever independently contemplate.

This feature can be useless, too, sometimes only working on the DVD+VR DVD recorder that did the editing.

Normal DVD players won't always ignore the hidden chapters.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf /forum/post/18274675

+VR is a "subset" in terms of video/audio specs, not in licensing/non-tech terms.

This feature can be useless, too, sometimes only working on the DVD+VR DVD recorder that did the editing.

Normal DVD players won't always ignore the hidden chapters.

+VR was developed by Philips for implementation in their DVD recorders.

It is not a "subset" of either the DVD-Video mode or the VR mode.

It's it's own animal. Yes it does rely on the DVD-Video mode file structure in its approach (for the most part) but I believe one would be hard pressed to look at the DVD-Video mode official specifications and find +VR included a subset of such.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You're still not understanding me.

DVD+VR was based on a limited version of DVD-Video. In other words, a subset of the DVD-Video specs. It's not DVD-Video, but neither is it "it's own animal" (that would be Divx or Blu-ray).

Stop trying to tie it to the DVD Forum licensing or docs. As you already said, it was a subset made by Philips independent of the DVD Forum.

You're making my easy explanation of a complex topic complex again. Stop it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts