AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rarely rent movies, but when I do, the movie on the first read spins off to read the headers (volume label and encryption) in my Sony BD-RE drive and makes a god-awful noise that only be described as a heavy vibration.

None of my owned titles (purchased from retail like BB or Moviestop) do this, ever.

It would seem as if the hub isn't securely fitting into the center of the disk and it's causing it to wobble, or the discs are off balance.

Please enlighten me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Bad batch? I've had this issue with rental DVDs.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/18192551

It would seem as if the hub isn't securely fitting into the center of the disk and it's causing it to wobble, or the discs are off balance.

Please enlighten me.

I've notice some rentals have some kind of sticker or sticky indentifier tag glued to the inside of each disc (on the top side of the disc towards the center whole). Maybe thats the rentals you are using and causing issues some how. Other than that, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If the stickers are heavy enough they can throw the balance off. I have seen that going back to CDs. Is it the same sound you get if you accidental put a disk in when there is already one in there?

·
Registered
17,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB /forum/post/18193243

Is this going to hurt my laser? I would be pretty pissed off if so.

It can't hurt the laser unless it actually makes contact with it. That's theoretically possible with enough wobble, but not overly likely since most lasers are somewhat inset within a window area where the disc (if in one piece) shouldn't be able to reach.

It can hurt the mechanical parts, though, if it's out of balance. With the RPMs these discs achieve, a little wobble can put a lot of torque on the center hub, which can pull pull it out of alignment - and that can lead to reading issues once the distance from disc surface to laser goes too far out of tolerance.

Also, an unbalanced disc is more easily broken under the spinning forces. Having a disc break in your player or drive is a bad thing.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine that every rented BR title from Blockbuster is damaged, so, I'm gonna go with the fact that it's slightly off balance.

My BD-RE drive cost me around $500 and I am not quite sure a replacement would be much cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts