AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It isn't whether widescreens will remove bars at all, but rather what exact ratio was the film shot in. On some movies they fit without any bars, but on others they use a miriad of variations which create small bars, and it isn't the TV at all.

I guess some people didn't know this, but to figure it out this late in the game, and then think it is some big mystery is shocking. The best movies are the 2.35/1 anamorphorphic and you had to know they would still have bars , right? You also get greater detail and it is worth it, but when I had a 4/3 set and watched DVD's in letterbox which I always did, the size of the box varied often with the ratio of the movie, so that is how I figured it out years ago, but there isn't a way for the set to fix this, unless the movie people just agree how exactly to do it. The box never bugs me because it isn't in many of them, and other then the 2.35/1 anamorphic one's it is a very little box.

I hope you enjoy your set anyway, and if you do get over that, you will probably notice that the picture looks a whole lot better anyway.

·
Registered
979 Posts
A lot of people still don't know this. And everyone here is tired of explaining it. I hope it helps some newbies.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turt
A lot of people still don't know this. And everyone here is tired of explaining it. I hope it helps some newbies.
What would help more would be a sticky FAQ topic, updated periodically, that people could post further questions or clarifications to. These messages would get deleted as the FAQ got updated with new info.

It could have a blurb on common RPTV techs, brands/models with those, common questions/problems, as well as some background on connectivity, etc.

This would eliminate a ton of extra posts, and would perhaps make this forum more readable. vBB is a mother to follow (compared to USENET) if there are a lot of new subjects.

I'd even volunteer to do it, but I'm not enough of an expert -- haven't even bought my RPTV yet, of course this being the intenet, shouldn't be considered an obstacle.... ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.