AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to thank the members of this forum for helping me improve my home theater. I have learned so much from you guys. I am now a front projector newbie. I am upgrading from a 32" Toshiba. Initially, I was planning to purchase a plasma this year, but a change of plan occured after hearing about the Z2. I ordered my Z2 just after Thanksgiving and just got it this past Friday. (8 weeks!)

A breeze to set up. Image is stunning out of the box. I have not even played with the color or other settings. I am projecting a 90" image onto an eggshell off-white wall (right now). Seating is between 11 and 13 feet away. Screen door is visible from about 8 feet, so not an issue. No vertical banding or dust blobs, I think.

However, during a uniformly light scene, I immediately noticed an approximately 2" rounded "smudge" just about dead center. I do not think it is a dust blob, since it seems that they are best seen during dark images. This "spot" is very subtle, and slightly darker or duller than the surrounding image. It is not visible at all on dark scenes or the medium blue background of the Z2 when the DVD is stopped.

Please advise. I find that I am quite distracted by this. If this has been discussed, I must have missed it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Still sounds like dust to me ... not too much more it could be in a brand new projector. You need to remember that there are 3 colored panels in your projector ... depending on the color panel the dust is actually on will dictate what color backgroun image it is primarily seen on. Yout typically annoying dust blob will be on the green panel ... which will show up best on a very dark/black projected image.

However, dust on the red or blue panels will show up better on some lighter shades.

Simply put on an image where you can see it clearly, then slowly tweak your projector out of focus (you may need to in both directions) and as your image goes out of fucus ... your spot sould focus in on being a piece of dust.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I am thinking it is dust. I have had dust on my old z1 that showed up on a light background but not a dark background.

as ericbres said, just defocus the lens and if it comes into focus it is dust or some other junk on one of the panels.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dillweed
It is not visible at all on dark scenes or the medium blue background of the Z2 when the DVD is stopped.
Quote:
Originally posted by HorrorScope
Dust blob almost assuredly. Giveaway "smudge in a dark scene".
Dillweed - 1

Horrorscope - 0

;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.