AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper, the new Pioneer PDP-4340 is the panel to get.

It seemingly gets cheaper online every day and it is being dumped near cost.

I have heard from some in home theater retailing that there have been major problems with the panels (and the 5040) like a serious dead pixel problem.

It all makes sense! especially with a no warranty policy by pioneer unless you pay retail...

Any input? Any comments?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I read in another thread where the PDP-5040 is already at Cosco in Southern California.

Panasonic runs out of displays and Pioneer can't seem to sell enough.

Another question should be why is retail so much higher than dealer cost? You could sell more if you weren't advertising a retail price that is 4K higher than anyone else's display's. I never understood Pioneers marketing of their plasmas.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The beauty of Costco is that you can return it if it is bad.

Come on! Someone on this forum knows the real deal. Tell us!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean to tell me that nobody on this board has bought one of these units?

How about the "people in the know". The experts who know all the product out there. Any feedback?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottb4u

How about the "people in the know". The experts who know all the product out there. Any feedback?
What "exactly" are you asking??

VB

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm asking if you know of problems with the 40 series--and if so, what are they?

Also, why are the units seemingly getting cheaper every day?

Look--you can get the 4340 brand new for 45xx! That is obviously dumping price. Why is that?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Pi,

Of course I have done a search for the pioneer units.

As I might say to my wife when she takes a patronizing attitude, "I'm not an idiot, so don't treat me like one".

What I am looking for, sir, is a person or persons "in the business" to tell me why the 40 series is so darn inexpensive--and getting cheaper. It is being dumped and it is not just because of the 'green push' problem.

I want the real deal--especially if I am going to buy on the web and risk no warranty....

I do not think I am asking too much....Rogo? I trust your opinion. Do you have one on this matter?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Pioneer did lower their MSRP after CES which in turn would lower street prices. The 5040 is very close now to the internet prices of the commercial Panasonic.

You can search for the numerous reviews, but from what I can remember, there were some AVS reviewers who didn't like

1) the green cast - ISF callibration proved to be difficult (need special software) unlike the Pioneer Elite

2) Black levels - Pro Filter I as opposed to Pro Filter II on the Elite, and even then some are under the opinion it is still not as good as Panasonic and Fujitsu

3) Milky color - this was reported by some who believed that the glass didn't give the crispness of others.

Some of this is very subjective, and you have to see for yourself as mentioned time and time again. My litmus test is how well the panel will do with crappy signals - I expect HD to look awesome, it is the crappy signals that I wonder about.

Good luck

·
Registered
950 Posts
scottb4u, I do not want to emulate your wife.

You seem to have enough problems in that area!

I am sorry she patronizes you.

That's one of the reasons why I did not get married!!! Lucky ME!!

I find an Albatross tooo heavy around my neck!

I was trying to help, having no frame of reference of your previous searches, since none were indicated in your post, I did not feel I was trying to make your like a more miserable place to be!

I posted that URL in good faith!

I, as many others here post, do our best to help with your question.

I am glad I do not have a patronizing WIFE in my life.

That would certainly ........

You fill in the blank!!!

VB

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pi,

It will eventually happen to you too--unless you are "unmarriable" or gay.

You will then empathize with those of us who created the term "wife acceptance factor"...

I still don't have the information that I am looking for! I DO know that it exists somewhere, and with someone....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ya know scottb4u, you are correct.

"Eventually it will happen....NOT!!....

Maybe it will to all of the "Neural Synaptically Challenged"!!

but that's just ME!! YE HAAAAAA!!!

Call me the "I have a scream speach"!!!!

All I was doing.......

trying to give ya an answer.

What place does this "gay" thing have in answering your question??!!!!

You know what they say about you and the horse you road in on.

I was just trying to help....Jeeeshj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VB

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well this is what I can tell you. Pioneer has discontinued making RPTV's altogether and ramped up production on its plasma lines. At the same time Panasonic has lowered its panel prices as well as the Korean's. So most other companies are using Panny,Korean, or Hitachi alis glass. Then consumers walk into CC or BB and see the Panny 42PX at 6k and then the Pioneer 4340 at 8K and go for the 42PX. Pioneer used to provide 50" panels for Sharp (which now has dropped plasma to concentrate on LCD's) and Hitachi (currently making its own 50"). Compounding the fact Pioneer has no warranty on most Internet purchases.

What this adds up to is Pioneer with an overstock of panels and we know how companies deal with their overstocks.

From the looks of things Pioneer prices may come down even further.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Peter,

Was there a cost reduction by pioneer? And did it go down by the same amount example only and hypothetical numbers

old msrp 10,000

old cost 7,000

new msrp 9,000

new cost 6,000

or was there just a reduction in the total gross profitability and cost remaind the same?

If cost was reduced, any idea what that reduction was, hoping that this is not breaking any rules, not asking for pricing, just if anyone has knowledge as to the aforementioned example.

thanks

Tom

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The first.

Probably the effect of the new SONY XBR950's adding to the competition.

Superbowl demand peak urging the reduction of inventory.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So are you saying cost remained the same and only the msrp was reduced, which in turns looks good to consumers but is really just a cut in retailer gross profit margin on those particular models.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Probably the effect of the new SONY XBR950's adding to the competition.
I would guess that the Sony 910 would be a bigger seller.

IMHO, Pioneer made a huge amount of money on its earlier generation consumer plasmas (due to supply and demand), thus dropping its RPTV lines. But what has happened now is that Panny,Fujitsu,Hitachi,Sony, and the Koreans now flood the market with inexpensive plasmas most with equal or better picture quality than the outrageously MSR priced Pioneers.

And CINERAMAX what glass does the Sony 950 have? Perhaps a NEC panel. The 910's got the Hitachi alis 1024x1024. You can see a definite black level difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.