AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of discussion in the Onkyo 876 and 906 threads about the delay that is experienced when changing TV channels. The worst case seems to be when going from standard def to an HD channel or vise versa. Reports of up to 10 seconds before the sound and/or picture are both up have been reported.

My question is how bad is this delay with other brands of AVR receivers? This question is primarly aimed at the higher end AVR's such as the Denon 3808 series and up, the Pioneer Elites, etc. but any comment is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/15433822

There has been a lot of discussion in the Onkyo 876 and 906 threads about the delay that is experienced when changing TV channels. The worst case seems to be when going from standard def to an HD channel or vise versa. Reports of up to 10 seconds before the sound and/or picture are both up have been reported.

My question is how bad is this delay with other brands of AVR receivers? This question is primarly aimed at the higher end AVR's such as the Denon 3808 series and up, the Pioneer Elites, etc. but any comment is appreciated.

And only HDMI sources, right?

It would also be of value to know what the delay is if the source is connected

directly to the display instead of going through the receiver.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl /forum/post/15433879

And only HDMI sources, right?

It would also be of value to know what the delay is if the source is connected

directly to the display instead of going through the receiver.

+1, yes, I neglected to mention that the delay is associated with HDMI sources. Good idea on also posting any delays related to direct connections to the display.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One delay that I have seen is with the Dish Network box. Even when the Dish signal goes directly to the TV, there is still a 5 second delay before the picture comes up when channels are changed.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/15433822

What HT Set Box do you own? Most of the issues I have seen are HD set box issues

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs /forum/post/15440521

The issue IS with HD boxes as it is a digital issue. Channel changes for digital channels take longer than analog does (soon to be "did").

True, but the channel change differences can often be attributed to which unit (HD box or HDTV) is handling the resolution change or scaling. As we all know, some HD channels broadcast in 720p and some in 1080i.

As an example, on the DirecTV HR20 DVR one can set the unit to convert all channels to a specific resolution, or just do a pass-through of the signal (Native on) and let the TV do the scaling.

Letting the HR20 do the conversion allows for faster channel changes but some people prefer their TV's scaler and opt for Native On. They put up with slower channel changes, however.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Again, what is the box the OP is using? Seems like another thread that misrepresents issues...it is the receivers fault

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/15440475

What HT Set Box do you own? Most of the issues I have seen are HD set box issues

Unfortunately, I have Dish Network. I am going to change to Verizon FIOS soon, however (better channels for my tastes).

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolwarrior /forum/post/15442086

Unfortunately, I have Dish Network. I am going to change to Verizon FIOS soon, however (better channels for my tastes).

It is your box that will be slower, not the receiver. So if you want Denon, go Denon, if it is Onkyo... go Onkyo. The receiver is not the issue
If I was you I'd worry about more important thing like sound, VP, HD codecs and versatility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.