AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an Optima HD70. I previously owned an Infocus X1. I put 3000 hours on my first X1 bulb, purchased another one since I thought the first one was getting dim, and then put 3000 hours on the second bulb. The X1 bulb was rated for 4000 hours. I found that the dimming of the output prevented me from enjoying the picture on my X1 before the rated hours. Has anyone else had this experience? How much of the rated bulb life have you gotten out of your projector? Just curious. I would like to get an idea of how long my HD70 bulb will really last, before it will need to be replaced. I also thought it my be useful to share our experiences on bulb life.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Well... I am at about 780 hours on the HD70 Bulb and the dim factor at this point is making it very difficult to enjoy SD DVDs now.

I find that on quality HD feeds, the PQ is still very good... but on SD DVDs and lower res Divx material, I am not very happy. Everything that used to be white is now... almost gray.

I am using the 92" GWII screen in a completed light controlled environment. I have been advised to get a White Matte screen to compensate for this... I hope it helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You must have your projector ceiling mounted. If so that screen is not ideal. If floor or table top mounted that graywolf II is very bright, I'm sure you know this already.

Optoma really needs to describe the properties of this screen better. They are good for the DV10 but for any ceiling mount they stink. This would be a good screen for LCD projectors self mounted just above your head.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLKeith /forum/post/0

You must have your projector ceiling mounted. If so that screen is not ideal. If floor or table top mounted that graywolf II is very bright, I'm sure you know this already.

Optoma really needs to describe the properties of this screen better. They are good for the DV10 but for any ceiling mount they stink. This would be a good screen for LCD projectors self mounted just above your head.

Yes keith, it is ceiling mounted.... the Lens is centered approximately 30" above the viewing area.. (some keystone needed)...

Anyway, the picture used to be very vibrant and brilliant with this same setup... but now, much to my dismay it is dim and the PQ lacks any real life.

I am going to purchase a Matte White screen this week from Accuscreen and see what that does to help. My setup is just not ideal for anything besides a Ceiling mount.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
3800 hours on my Panasonic AE700. And still going.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had 3,000 hours on my X1 bulb. And while I noticed a very slight dimming, I still actually had the brightness turned down a touch.

I went ahead and upgraded to a HD70. First thing I did before really calibrating was turn down the brightness.

To the OP, remember 4,000 hours is just the latest bulb rating for the X1. If I remember right as originally released the X1 had a bulb life of 2,000 or 2,500 hours. Then when I bought mine it was up to 3,000. I guess if you are correct then it is up to 4,000 now. I seem to remember some debate on if anything really changed or Infocus just gained more experience.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/0

Over 5000 hrs on my original Sanyo Z2 lamp and still counting.

Right on, man....I went over 4k on mine, and it was still going when I went ahead and replaced it. I have it here as my spare
The damn things were only rated to 2k, so we're getting some sick value!

·
Registered
7,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/0

Right on, man....I went over 4k on mine, and it was still going when I went ahead and replaced it. I have it here as my spare
The damn things were only rated to 2k, so we're getting some sick value!

I'm trying to decide whether to replace mine with a new one and use this one as a back up. Did you notice a big difference in brightness when you replaced your?

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/0

Over 5000 hrs on my original Sanyo Z2 lamp and still counting.

Seriously?!?! Never heard of a sanyo buld going over 1000!!

heard of 5 z2's and 850 was the longest. I have a Z1 and have had 2 bulbs both die at 350!!! Has put me right off Sanyo forever.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/0

Yes keith, it is ceiling mounted.... the Lens is centered approximately 30" above the viewing area.. (some keystone needed)...

Anyway, the picture used to be very vibrant and brilliant with this same setup... but now, much to my dismay it is dim and the PQ lacks any real life.

I am going to purchase a Matte White screen this week from Accuscreen and see what that does to help. My setup is just not ideal for anything besides a Ceiling mount.

Also you should look into a Da-Lite high power with 2.8 gain

I have a matte white optpma screen and i'm glad i got that instead of the GWII, first i was pissed i didnt recieve a GWII from my DV10 and after buying one to find out if it was better i promply returned it next day.

Right now i'm using a 106" DIY rubberized canvas i bought off e-bay for $15 with a 1.3 gain.

I have my HD70 set in low lamp mode as it's too bright with it on.

Even trry hanging a white sheet up and see if that looks brighter till you get a new screen.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirg /forum/post/0

Seriously?!?! Never heard of a sanyo buld going over 1000!!

heard of 5 z2's and 850 was the longest. I have a Z1 and have had 2 bulbs both die at 350!!! Has put me right off Sanyo forever.

There's plenty of Z2 over 1000 in the Z2 threads. I own a Z2 but I dislike Sanyo due to their support and will never buy another Sanyo anything. I've been REALLY lucky with my lamp and 5000 hrs is a blessing.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Bud-Man thanks alot for your input... I pulled the trigger on an Accuscreen 100" screen. It wasnt expensive at all and the reviews were ok from members of this forum.

If that doesnt suit my interest, then I will get a High Power.... However, I am being advised that because I have a completely dark room, a Matte White with moderate gain will suffice. I sure as hell hope so.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.