AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My installation company is looking for a flagship line of Pre/Amp separates to carry in the $5000,00 and up range. We generally use Triad speakers for our installations.

I have looked at Sunfire, ADA, Sherbourn, Parasound and a few others; I am interested in finding out what are your favorite brands and how these products fair in the real world.

Thank you for your help!

:)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I love my current Anthem gear, AVM20 and MCA series amps. No complaints other than they might not be expensive enough for you. This is maybe the only downfall of Anthem/Paradigm, many purists dont believe they cost enough to be considered high-end gear. I say it's their loss, and my gain.

·
Registered
344 Posts
EAD

I also used to love Aragon - but I do not know how they fair since they were bought by Klipsch

·
Registered
92 Posts
For first rate amps I think Bryston is the "best" within their price range (20 year transferable warranty!!). For pre-amps again Bryston, but for a larger selection Lexicon has proven fault free for many of the AV shops I work with.

- Al

·
Registered
897 Posts
 Theta Digital is nice because of its card & frame design. You can add and remove cards as standards change. (ie, a HD-WM9 codec.)

For amps, Pass Labs is up there. Their X600 is nice. My audio dealer has a high bias X600 that draws 1400 watts (each) AT IDLE! $27K a pair. (If thats not enough, Krell Master Reference 1Kw amps are 120kilobucks for a pair)

I'm looking to take the monoblock dive, and I am not sure the 50lb face plate of the Pass does anything besides add to the price. I want to listen to some of the new Class D (digital) HT amplifiers. You can get a 1000 watter for under $3500. It will be interesting to see how it sounds.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Echoing CobraKahn's post, I own and have owned Aragon products since 1993. While being recently purchased by Klipsch, I think the main change that has happened is that they've adopted an additional home theater focus, while still staying true to their audiophile roots (keeping the Palladium, 8008MkII, and 28K Preamp). I think the added monetary "oomph" of Klipsch may help out Mondial in the never changing realm of home theater.

For the Aragon brand:

Likes: sonics, aesthetics (don't they look cool :D - heh, I keep saying that, LOL) - both in appearance and ergonomics), build quality.

Not-so-likes: (Stage One, in particular) no assignable/customizable input capability (i.e., assigning a video connection to any particular input, or naming an input itself) and no multi-zone provisions.

The Stage One is a great product, and I stand very close by the brand. Their upgrade program was unprecendented, and a significant factor on my "staying the course." However, to address the "Not-so-likes" comes to mind a few other manufacturers I've supported: Lexicon, Classe, and because I love the sound of the SP1.7: Bryston.

Chris

·
Registered
315 Posts
My next amp I hope is a Plinius. For Mid-Fi gear I have always liked B&K which I still have 2 models.

Top of the line ,ultra expensive is LAMM without a doubt probably the finest amps in the world! Only have had the oppurtunity to hear them once and with Wilsons.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
First vote for Parasound Halo?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your detailed responses.

I was a big fan of Parasound for several years, however, since they started selling Halo through “Good Guys†I have put them in my boycott basket, and no longer recommend the product. We have a custom installation company specializing in the design and construction of Hi End home theaters. Being as such, we cannot compete with a huge best purchase type multi conglomerate. I am now balancing, manufactures that actively support custom installers, while promoting products that we feel are the highest possible quality for the application. Further, I have installed a vast number of different types and kinds of, receivers, Preamplifiers and Amplifiers over the years, notwithstanding, I have a lot of respect for the members of AVS forum, wherefore I am putting my personal bias aside, and am embracing your opinions in an effort to stay on top of the enormous number of products that pour onto the market place each year.

Once again, thank you for your comments and advice.

David

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
IMO, no line of "flagship" type products is complete without at least the mention of Meridian's products. All Meridian or not, they are outstanding products.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Great comments and suggestions, and I'm in agreement so far.

No one has mentioned ADA, and their revamped line is spectacular. They now have products overlapping the B&K/Parasound high end products, as well as some very expensive and cool pieces. The $10,000 multi-zone receiver they showed at CES last month has changed my mind about receivers, and about Class D power amplifiers.

I am also partial to the Fosgate Audionics processor and amplifier because of sound quality and feature set, but also because I happen to be old friends of Jim and Charlie... ;) This combo is in a lower price range than ADA, but I can vouch for the performance with Triad speakers.

The other components mentioned in this thread are excellent, but I strongly suggest a matching pre/pro and amplifiers for best performance, a better look, and the elimination of client confusion.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with the vote for ADA.

I just installed an ADA amp and processor.

They both sound great and the processor is amazingly flexible.

Now if I could just get a break on a room full of Triads.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Meridian, McIntosh and Lexicon are pricier brands...

I think Meridian with Wilson Puppies considered the choice of $$$$$ aplenty people...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by emillika
First vote for Parasound Halo?
They have my vote too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.