AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for new mains & want to expand my search a little

What is some of your favorite ID companies?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
i don't have vast id experience , but emotiva sure seems to have it going on...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Haven’t seen them, will definitely check them out.

i don't have vast id experience , but emotiva sure seems to have it going on...
The Airmotiv 5’s/6’s look awesome. Just wish I had a FR/FL pre out for them

Have bought a lot of gear from Acc4less myself. Highly recommend them. Here is a link:
https://www.accessories4less.com/
Be sure to also consider Hsu Research, SVS, Rythmik, Chane, Polk, Outlaw Audio, PSA, and musicdirect.com just to name a few more.
Cheers,
Phil
I look on A4L occasionally.
HSU’s CCB8’s look very interesting being a coaxial plus I like the cabinet/woofer design.
Can’t afford the SVS Ultras, the primes seem a little lacking for price.
Have only seen Rythmiks subs
Chane has wonderful reviews but doesn’t seem to stay in stock
Already have polks
Outlaw same as Rythmik, only seen their subs
Will check out musicdirect, haven’t heard of them before

Power Sound Audio
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/

Made in the USA, the owner handles customer service personally, and a great warranty. But all they do is big and bigger.
Wish I could afford PSA’s. I do love that Tom is very active in the community though. Wonderful business plan regarding CS.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
For sheer convenience/ease-of-use state of the art website, free return shipping and stellar customer service: SVS.

For best price to performance ratio, my top 5 would be:

• Emotiva
  • Philharmonic Audio
  • Ascend (SE series)
  • Hsu
  • Chane (if you have epic patience)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For sheer convenience/ease-of-use state of the art website, free return shipping and stellar customer service: SVS.

• Emotiva
  • Philharmonic Audio
  • Ascend (SE series)
  • Hsu
I’ve been heavily looking at the Emotiva AirMotiv 6s but as stated above I don’t have FR/FL pre outs :mad:
I kinda think the B1’s would be a little too small

I mainly do 90/10% HT/Music

Also looking at the CCB8’s but can’t get a definite summary from reviews considering I cannot test them beforehand.

Philharmonic is more music oriented right?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

• Emotiva
  • Philharmonic Audio
  • Ascend (SE series)
  • Hsu
emotiva seems to have some good customer service as well...

Reactions: Spectah

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a combination of SVS/PSA/RSL

They are all awesome. SVS Ultra bookshelf for LCR. PSA 15V. RSL CG4 for surrounds.

Will replace speaker craft aim8 (were already laying around) with RSL in ceilings. And upgrade to PSA MT 110/210s for LCR. Will also be adding more PSA subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vardo

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a combination of SVS/PSA/RSL

They are all awesome. SVS Ultra bookshelf for LCR. PSA 15V. RSL CG4 for surrounds.

Will replace speaker craft aim8 (were already laying around) with RSL in ceilings. And upgrade to PSA MT 110/210s for LCR. Will also be adding more PSA subs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I envy you lol.

The ultras are beautiful and the PSA 15V looks like a BEAST from every video I’ve seen.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Still looking for new mains & want to expand my search a little

What is some of your favorite ID companies?
NHT. I see no need to "upgrade" ever again.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Reactions: Lp85253

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
I’ve been heavily looking at the Emotiva AirMotiv 6s but as stated above I don’t have FR/FL pre outs :mad:
I kinda think the B1’s would be a little too small

I mainly do 90/10% HT/Music

Also looking at the CCB8’s but can’t get a definite summary from reviews considering I cannot test them beforehand.

Philharmonic is more music oriented right?
For 90% HT you'll be fine with the C1 or C2 and the B1, the center does 80% of the output after all. I'd get the T1 or T2 only if you were doing music in 2.0 or if you sat +12ft away from the speakers AND like to listen really loud.

The CCB8 have a more "aggressive" treble than their predecessors the HB/HC-1 by all accounts---for HT they should function as kind of "the poor man's PSA speakers" if you are after very high SPL. They certainly are a very intriguing design, would love to hear them myself though I doubt I'd actually keep them.

For your usage and if on a budget, I would try the JBL Studio 230 + 235C that are currently on sale, $550 shipped same as the Emotiva B1 + C1 combo except that JBL provides free return shipping if that will make you feel more comfortable.
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/

Some folks have found the 230s to be equal or better than the SVS Ultras for HT use, at 1/3 of the price...I find that quite plausible.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For 90% HT you'll be fine with the C1 or C2 and the B1, the center does 80% of the output after all. I'd get the T1 or T2 only if you were doing music in 2.0 or if you sat +12ft away from the speakers AND like to listen really loud.

The CCB8 have a more "aggressive" treble than their predecessors the HB/HC-1 by all accounts---for HT they should function as kind of "the poor man's PSA speakers" if you are after very high SPL. They certainly are a very intriguing design, would love to hear them myself though I doubt I'd actually keep them.

For your usage and if on a budget, I would try the JBL Studio 230 + 235C that are currently on sale, $550 shipped same as the Emotiva B1 + C1 combo except that JBL provides free return shipping if that will make you feel more comfortable.
https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/

Some folks have found the 230s to be equal or better than the SVS Ultras for HT use, at 1/3 of the price...I find that quite plausible.
I’m torn between the Emotivas and the CCB8’s.
I wouldn’t want towers regardless so that’s fine regarding the T1-2.
I don’t really have the space for a CCB8 for a CC though. I have my FH6-LCR mounted above my TV atm.
The CCB8’s having a more aggressive tweeter is interesting I lean to liking a little bright speaker, at least sharp.

As far as the JBL, I know people love them but, I can’t get over the design. They’re just so ugly. I know the design shouldn’t play a major factor in deciding speakers especially considering I’m not married but about every JBL cabinet turns me off.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
As far as the JBL, I know people love them but, I can’t get over the design. They’re just so ugly. I know the design shouldn’t play a major factor in deciding speakers especially considering I’m not married but about every JBL cabinet turns me off.
Really? I find the Studio 230 design to be very inoffensive, just generic black boxes like the Ascend 340s...am less crazy about the Emotivas' weird-looking beveled front face actually.

Attachments

Reactions: Espo77

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really? I find the Studio 230 design to be very inoffensive, just generic black boxes like the Ascend 340s...am less crazy about the Emotivas' weird-looking beveled front face actually.
Guess I should have specified it’s the waveguide of the JBL’s tweeter that turns me off.
I think the 340s you mentioned are very nice. Especially the driver and phase cap.

It’s funny we’re flip flopped on this because I really enjoy Emotivas design from the AMT to the bezels you mentioned.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
LOL... good, I thought it was just me. When I first saw them all I could think was I hope they at least sound good...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts