AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that I have gotten my first taste of 3D BD (Avatar) I really like it!! Didnt think I would!!

So, what is your favorite non-animated 3D movie, and why ?

I have only seen Avatar, and chose that movie because it was shot in 3D. So I figured it would look awesome. I was not dissapointed :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
For me Gaurdian of the Galaxy - it may not be 3D reference material, but everything about this movie was well done.

Gravity is a must see in 3D, but the story itself is a one and done kind of movie for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gravity does rate pretty high for 3D quality, but kind of expensive. Maybe I will pick that one up next.
Do you know if it was originaly filmed in 3D?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Gravity does rate pretty high for 3D quality, but kind of expensive. Maybe I will pick that one up next.
Do you know if it was originaly filmed in 3D?
People here will know more detail, but I'm pretty sure the live action was shot in 2D and converted while the CGI was rendered in 3D. The result for me was 3D that was as good as natively shot 3D films.

Edit: Here it is explained: http://3defence.blogspot.com/2013/10/hows-3d-in-gravity.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People here will know more detail, but I'm pretty sure the live action was shot in 2D and converted while the CGI was rendered in 3D. The result for me was 3D that was as good as natively shot 3D films.

Edit: Here it is explained: http://3defence.blogspot.com/2013/10/hows-3d-in-gravity.html
Thanks, I am going to pick a copy up.
Avatar had some fantastic effects and the 3D was outstanding. I was frankly surprised 3D would look this good.
I was really expecting just another lame gimmic.
Now I want more!! :D

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
For good old park your brain at the door action flicks Pacific Rim is near the top of my list (especially if you have a 16:9 screen). For 2:35 fans OZ the great and powerful is good 3D with bright colors,Star trek Into Darkness for action. Pop out fans will love Journey series (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island). I have seen all these in the $10 range from time to time.

Reactions: jvh4

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For good old park your brain at the door action flicks Pacific Rim is near the top of my list (especially if you have a 16:9 screen). For 2:35 fans OZ the great and powerful is good 3D with bright colors,Star trek Into Darkness for action. Pop out fans will love Journey series (Center of the Earth and Mysterious Island). I have seen all these in the $10 range from time to time.
Thanks, I have the standard BD version of Pacific Rim and love it. So now I have that one on my list too :)
Does it have any good 'pop out in you lap' moments ??

I am impressed with how good 3D looks on my Sammy 7100 panel!! All this time I was scepticle, thinking it was just a passing fad.
Now I am hoping more movies become available!!

What do you guyz think of the 3D version of Godzilla 2015?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
my pick as well. such a fun ride and the 3d is great!

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
- The Hobbit - Trilogy
- Hugo
- Prometheus
- Gravity
- Tron: Legacy

* Transformers: 3 & 4

______

3D content

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
As far as movie go, the three that come to mind with strong aggressive 3d are Flying Swords of Dragonsgate, Pacific Rim and Journey to the Center of the Earth. All three have great 3d for non animated titles (animated titles of course are a cut above in general vs live action for 3d).

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Our family enjoys dancing.... so Step up 3 & 5 get watched a lot at or house , another multiple view movie is Men in Black 2
You mean 'Men in Black 3' - 3D, because 'Men in Black 2' is only in 2D.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3D last night, not impressed with the 3D, most of it looked flat.
The space behind the actors looked 2d, but the actors up front of the camera had 3d depth.

Has anyone seen Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3d yet??

Also, does anyone have "Bait 3D"? Australian horror film about a killer shark!! it's only $12. Looks interesting

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3D last night, not impressed with the 3D, most of it looked flat.
The space behind the actors looked 2d, but the actors up front of the camera had 3d depth.

Has anyone seen Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3d yet??

Also, does anyone have "Bait 3D"? Australian horror film about a killer shark!! it's only $12. Looks interesting

We've watched both of the "Journey" movies. They're both kid movies but I felt that Journey 2/Mysterious Island was much more palatable for adults. Enjoyed that a lot more with my Grandson. For $12 I guess Bait is ok. I bought it cheap as well but it's really a pretty poor movie. Found myself wishing it would end.:rolleyes: JMHO

Ed

·
Registered
186 Posts
The "Jurassic Park" 3D conversion is spectacular - it was almost like watching it for the first time. "Titanic" was great too, a very slight notch below Jurassic Park in terms of 3D but that's probably personal tastes biasing my opinion.
I'll second "Pacific Rim" despite some left/right-eye verticle misalignment issues during the first 10m or so. Do not let that dissuade you though.
Some here will disagree but I thought the first Avengers movie had good-to-great 3D.
Although you requested non-animated, you should consider some animated titles as some are certainly enjoyable enough for adults despite target audience and have some of the best 3D out there. Some of those that come to mind:
Monsters vs Aliens
Megamind
A Christmas Carol
Legend of the Guardians
Rise of the Guardians
Both of the How to Train Your Dragon movies but especially the second
Despicable Me 1&2 (though second was a little dissapointing.
Probably others I'm forgetting.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Just watched the converted 3d of Top Gun, it was alright. I think the bluray mastering was the crappy job

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Man, it just goes to show how much differences there are in displays and setups when it comes to 3D performance... not to mention individual viewing preferences.. The 3D version of Guardians of the Galaxy I thought looked really good.. clear and clean with nice depth.. not to mention the bonus of having it be full screen 16:9 instead of the 2d version with 2.35:1 .

And definitely Pacific Rim was really well done!... didn't see any ghosting or misalignment that I could recall that detracted from the movie at all...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts